Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is Netduino (or Gadgeteer) still viable?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Maynard

Thomas Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I saw a reference on the 'Net (some digging might turn it up again) that one or another Netduino Go sensors had been discontinued due to lack of market (i.e. nobody was buying them).  [Was it on the [nwazet site?]

At the time I was deep into the "Netduino vs Gadgeteer" decision process, and that unsettled me.

Further: I just read a news blurb from Microsoft about their commitment to the Internet Of (Your) Things, and neither .NET MF, Netduino (or Gadgeteer) was mentioned at all.  (Again, a URL could likely be found again if required.)

All of these events lead me to ask, "Is the Netduino and/or the Gadgeteer still a viable product now and into the near future?"  I don't want to commit a bunch of time & money building a development environment for an "orphaned" product.

It does seem that .NET MF continues to march forward, but as a community project, without Microsoft sanction but is that enough?  Is Secret Labs still committed to hardware production?  And will there be new device drivers in the future?

I would really like the answer to all of these questions to be a resounding, "Yes!" but honesty is really better.  Should I continue to invest my time & money in NETMF and Netduino?

Thanks,

Tom.

#2 sfx

sfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Hi Thomas,

I'm an experienced software developer on the Microsoft stack, but am only relatively new to the devices scene. Having said that, however, I have poured a great deal of my time recently (and a little money) into learning about the IoT, as well as some of those devices that will likely comprise the movement. Of course, no one can be sure how the IoT will mature, but the .NET Micro Framework appears to have developed a renewed focus in recent times - both by folks inside Microsoft as well as by the broader open source community. In my opinion, provided that SecretLabs can continue to innovate, Netduino seems to be well positioned to capitalise on the momentum that is moving the IoT forward.

As developers, what we care about most are the languages and frameworks that will be used to engage the hardware that supports our vision. The nascent IoT reminds me of how Cloud technology nearly a decade ago was being positioned to envelop everything. Indeed, it seems to be still touted as a software panacea of sorts. Whether you have bought into the Cloud punch-line or not, there is one thing that is undeniable; the improvements in tooling support to make Cloud technology a viable offering have been astounding.

If IoT is anything like the early days of Cloud computing, then you're likely not even going to be able to keep up with all the improvements that will start to occur within the devices you use, as well as the ones that you haven't even thought of yet.

Take care,

Nathan

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hey Tom,

Both Microsoft and Secret Labs are putting significant resources into making .NET Micro Framework a first-class development platform for personal IoT projects and commercial IoT products. As evidenced by the demos and announcements at BUILD 2014, the market potential for NETMF-based products is pretty huge.

The first big new chunks of code built for the future of NETMF ship this summer. It's going to be a fun year for NETMF and IoT.

Regarding Gadgeteer: the talented folks over at Microsoft Research Cambridge UK designed that and could theoretically update it in their spare time. But unlike NETMF, it is not a funded product at Microsoft.

Chris

P.S. Regarding volume: accessories for open source hardware is rarely a high-volume business, regardless of platform. Those who built open source hardware often do it as a side business, to help enable others to create.

#4 Thomas Maynard

Thomas Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Nathan and Chris,

Thank you both for your input.  After I made my initial post it did dawn on me that it was unfair to cast the Netduino (and especially the Gadgeteer) in the role of production IoT hardware.  They are experimenter and development tools ... like their equivalents for so many other devices/platforms/frameworks.

My concerns about .NET MF were valid, however, and Chris' comments have reassured me a great deal.  I did go back to try to find those articles that started my query.  I found those, but also several others that do a better job showing that NETMF is alive and kicking.  Sal Ramirez' post from just a week ago is a good example.

It's just that -- again, in my mind at least -- the burgeoning IoT seems like it's going to hit like a tsunami, and yet if you start at Microsoft.com it takes a heck of a lot of clicks before you find any evidence of NETMF at all.  But that's me.  If you make those clicks you do find bits and pieces just as Chris states.

A week ago, Sal Ramirez touches on a number of active projects within Microsoft -- including "official" Visual Studio 2013 integration! -- and had I seen that first I probably would never have posed my question at all.

I'm satisfied now.  It's Netduino(/Go) for me, and VS2013 all the way.  My mental clouds have dissipated.

Thanks again, Nathan & Chris.

#5 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Hi Thomas,

Before spending a lot off money on the Go or Gadgeteer modules you better are off with one of the regular netduino's for the moment.
 These devices can handle a large amount of arduino compatible shields and allow you to interface to a whole bunch of other hardware.

The Netduino Go and its Shieldbase(the Go module that will allow to add arduino compatible shields) are still in development and should not be used for production until we have the shieldbase and Go ready for the 4.3.2 .NETMF framework.

The Go for now only supports 1 Shieldbase limiting the functionality of that kit.

Of course when you buy the GO Starterkit you already have some nice modules to play with! 
The coming 6 weeks are interesting because Secret Labs is going to release some new modules(Hopefully).   :rolleyes:

Cheers Olaf

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#6 Thomas Maynard

Thomas Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Just a quick follow up to my own note -- and to echo Chris' comments -- if others have doubts about Microsoft's commitment to the IoT and .NET Micro Framework, I suggest you spend a few moments watching Steve Texeira's talk from //build/.

Had I seen that first I would definitely never have made my original post.  Another tip of the hat to Chris for calling it out (even if indirectly).

#7 Thomas Maynard

Thomas Maynard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

Before spending a lot off money on the Go or Gadgeteer modules you better are off with one of the regular netduino's for the moment.

Ah, well of course I already own a handful of Netduino devices.  My internal debate was whether to branch out into the Go versus Gadgeteer ecosystems.  Part of the motivation for that debate was my discovery of the Micromint Bambino 200(E) devices.

My natural inclination is to stick with Netduino, but the Bambino is a huge temptation in the other direction.

It was in an effort to make that decision that I began trying to determine Microsoft's own direction, which then raised further doubts (now all erased, I assure you) about the continued viability of either platform.

No, I'm sticking with .NET MF and I'm once again a happy camper.

Thanks, bb!

#8 Spiked

Spiked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

I will go look at some of those links posted in a minute, but a quick note first;

There are jobs at Microsoft, whose entire description is Evangelize. People in these positions make incredible enthusiastic presentations of products, as is their job. But unfortunately it in no way reflects management directions.

Measure not what is promised, but what is delivered. The lateness of the Windows on devices would (does) have me a bit worried. How it is handled may well define the concepts viability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.