Windows on Devices? When? - Page 7 - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Windows on Devices? When?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#121 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:13 AM

My contribution was to tease Microsoft with a wink to the court system, like beastyboy explained.

Having said that..... In the Netherlands we are asking ourselves if it was not wiser for Microsoft to put more effort in the Netduino project. The Netduino is as stable as a rock and compared to the Intel, light years ahead. But about choices and Microsoft.....

Edited by JoopC, 22 September 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#122 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

Pete, thanks for joining us in the discussion and providing insight. We appreciate it, and understand that you've had to leave the discussion.

Let's just let this thread lie, and start up another one to get Pete involved again. The ability to communicate with someone so directly connected to the NETMF team is very valuable for us.

#123 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

Pete, thanks for joining us in the discussion and providing insight. We appreciate it, and understand that you've had to leave the discussion.

Let's just let this thread lie, and start up another one to get Pete involved again. The ability to communicate with someone so directly connected to the NETMF team is very valuable for us.

Which is what I've said before. We're done with this issue.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#124 Fjolle

Fjolle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

The email I received was sent September 4. Check your spam folders?

Pete

It seems like Outlook.com deletes spam after 10 days :)

And none of the other emails from MS went to the spam folder...

Anyway... It would have been nice if you (MS) had managed to communicate better. Like not promising a board when you can't deliver...

#125 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:25 AM

It seems like Outlook.com deletes spam after 10 days :)

And none of the other emails from MS went to the spam folder...

Anyway... It would have been nice if you (MS) had managed to communicate better. Like not promising a board when you can't

deliver...

Hello!

This wasn't promised by Pete B. It was implied by the division at Microsoft who came up with this incredibly strange idea. And even they admit they had more people sign up then they had boards.

I myself never received the e-mail that he's referring to as well, and my e-mail address that I used was a work one. Ideally they had other problems delivering boards that we do not need to know about. It isn't something deliberately annoying that he caused, its something that happened beyond the control of Microsoft. 

So we need to drop the matter and move on to other things. If you are interested in discussing this issue in detail, I am open to a private message on it.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#126 jinzai

jinzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

I have (had, until I killed it) a Galileo. It is(was) a great board -- well beyond most other IoT offerings. It runs Yocto Linux, which -- is just fine for that, except that Linux is a bit of a bear -- it has little in the way of vendor supplied HAL and bringing it up can be frustrating.

I doubt that plopping even WindowsCE on there is going to improve that situation much. I am very satisfied with SecretLabs work on the Netduino, however -- there are still areas that elude me -- I2C, for example.

You are simply suffering from life on the bleeding edge and why would Microsoft invest vast resources to develop this when they use their users as beta testers and have done so for over 20 years, now? So, they are a bit bogged down, that is the same everywhere in this industry. I have issues with every single development system I use -- most of them turn out to be me in the end.

JoopC -- pardon my observation, but -- that is a very naïve opinion about C++ -- it is still one of the most powerful languages available. In fact, most more modern languages are actually written in C/C++. Even Unix could not be written without C. What are your specific objections to a language that gives the power (as well as the responsibility!) to the programmer?

#127 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

C# has a bigger potential, easier to write and a worthy successor compaired to C++, for a simple app most of the time it is not necessary to write low level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.