.NET MF v4.Next - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

.NET MF v4.Next

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Something is happening on netmf.codeplex.com...

ACCESS PERMISSIONS UPDATE:
2014 Jun 16
In preparation for the longer term future of .NET MF we are in the process of some changes to the use of CodePlex. (Including switching to a GIT repository model to make things easier for a true OSS development process). As part of this transition everyone's permissions were reset to "editor" status, thus denying check-in permissions on the TFS tree. Fear not! This isn't a permanent change. We'll have more details on the results of the changes and the process for contributing into the official repositories in the very near future so stay tuned.

-Steve Maillet
Senior Architect .NET Micro Framework

Planned release .NET MF v4.Next

Now only if anyone know what "very near future" means - is it sooner or later than [the usual] "soon"  ;)

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

Also some details about Visual Studio 2013 support (issue #2516):

Support for VS2013 is under development. We'll have some more details and a test build shortly. The general goal is to not require firmware updates (which makes things tricky due to how the current build does version numbering for everything on mass) Furthermore, the current setup is designed to support only one version of VS at a time. While this was mostly acceptable when VS relased on a cadence on the order of ~3years, now that they are on an apparently annual cadence that's not going to fly. So we are seperating out the core reference libraries, build infrastructure etc... from the VS integration. For the VS integration we'll be going to VSX extensions in the gallery (Same for samples). Thus, the experience becomes much more consistent with other platforms that VS targets. While enabling VS2012 AND VS2013 support. (ditto for VS14 CTP and beyond)

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for posting this, CW2. The NETMF engineering team doesn't get a whole lot of public appreciation for the work they're doing...it's good to give them kudos often.

Lots of good stuff to come for NETMF vNext and Netduino this year. First new bits in testing now. Stay tuned. :)

Chris

#4 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

The NETMF engineering team doesn't get a whole lot of public appreciation for the work they're doing...it's good to give them kudos often.

Sure, I hope that I will often be able to give the new team kudos. Regarding the previous two years, I am still searching for anything that I could have appreciated. But now there indeed appears to be a renewed interest in evolving the platform.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Cuno -- I'm particularly excited about the new IoT-related code, the public commitment to integrate modern language features (generics, etc.) and the bugfixes. Plus the NETMF team is reworking the build system and otherwise modernizing the codebase.

Microsoft is on a more-rapid-refresh cycle these days with Azure and such, so we may be able to pull some of the latest bits into the upcoming Netduino 4.3.2 firmware (instead of waiting for NETMF vNext).

Chris

#6 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm particularly excited about the new IoT-related code

Microsoft is on a more-rapid-refresh cycle these days with Azure and such, so we may be able to pull some of the latest bits into the upcoming Netduino 4.3.2 firmware (instead of waiting for NETMF vNext).

What do you mean with new IoT-related code? And which latest bits do you mean?

#7 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

For me, the most interesting is the separation of Visual Studio integration component, which is probably the only thing anyone else will not be able to do (only Microsoft signed extensions allowed in Express SKUs). If they do it right, say it allows to completely replace the core assemblies, I will be very happy...

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

What do you mean with new IoT-related code? And which latest bits do you mean?

Stay tuned; I'll post more once we get closer. I want to make sure the NETMF team members get a lot of kudos for the awesome work they're doing. I don't want to steal their thunder.

The NETMF v4.Next wave will be the biggest update to NETMF in recent history. There's a lot of "new" as well as some "improved". [Backwards compatibility has also been taken into account.]

Chris

P.S. Regarding next-gen bits: there are some extra hardware features we baked into the Netduino gen2 hardware which we'll finally be able to take advantage of :)

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

For me, the most interesting is the separation of Visual Studio integration component, which is probably the only thing anyone else will not be able to do (only Microsoft signed extensions allowed in Express SKUs). If they do it right, say it allows to completely replace the core assemblies, I will be very happy...

:)

Chris

#10 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hello Chris,...... 

>>hope they get a lots of Kudos......

Please tell us, how can we help, HowTo give kudos?

#11 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hey JoopC,

>>hope they get a lots of Kudos......

Please tell us, how can we help, HowTo give kudos?

When news breaks (either here or over at NETMF codeplex), please tweet about it and share the news with your friends. Share your excitement. If you post a comment to the NETMF team saying "awesome! thank you!", they'll probably appreciate that too :)

Steve (from the NETMF team) is giving an online presentation on NETMF+IoT next week. You might want to pop in on that too, tweet about it, and share your feedback. Then stay tuned as more new bits are revealed this summer.

2014 is and will be a great year for NETMF, and we want you to be a part of that excitement.

Chris

#12 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

That link no longer seems to work.

#13 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

The .Net Micro Framework and IoT session got cancelled because a personal emergency from the speaker. But, we'll record it and add it to the recorded sessions in the NETConf site. It is a very interesting topic.

https://www.ghielect...age=6#msg158833

#14 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:23 PM

After watching dotnetConf 2014 session .NET Native Deep Dive by Andrew Pardoe about .NET Native, it seems Microsoft is working hard on AOT compiler for Windows Store apps, something that would be really nice to have for .NET MF. Interestingly, there is a comment on the FAQ page mentioning .NET Micro Framework:

Will .NET Native replace the .NET Micro Framework and will C#/.NET be made fully available for small devices?

.NET Native is currently focused on Windows Store apps. The Micro Framework is delivered by the Windows Embedded team, and the .NET team is working with them on how best to serve customers.

I guess it's time to start sending emails to dotnetnative@microsoft.com  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.