Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

WiFi Shield

WiFi Shield

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ghini76

ghini76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hello I am a beginner and this is the first time I approach to Netduino but I am quite expert programming on NET.
Which is the best shield for WiFi Netduino?

Thanks

#2 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:55 AM

Take a look at this thread on using the Edimax Nano router,

http://forums.netdui...-a-pc-wireless/

It isn't a shield, but it is quite small and fits between the two rows of headers on a Netduino + or 2 +.  You just plug it into the Netduino ethernet port after configuration. They regularly go on sale for $20-25.

#3 ghini76

ghini76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:11 AM

Take a look at this thread on using the Edimax Nano router,

http://forums.netdui...-a-pc-wireless/

It isn't a shield, but it is quite small and fits between the two rows of headers on a Netduino + or 2 +.  You just plug it into the Netduino ethernet port after configuration. They regularly go on sale for $20-25.

Thanks baxter...

great idea, but when the user needs to configure access to the wifi network must use the Edimax interface... right?
Can you configure the router via some shell? Putty?

I am very familiar Arduino Yun... on Yun I can configure the wifi changing the file \etc\config\wireless in the Linux side. I have developed a web interface to configure wifi. Should I do something similar with Netduino.

Maybe for my purpose I need just a shield ... or that someone would create a Netduino with integrated wifi! :)

What do you think?

#4 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

Can you configure the router via some shell? Putty?

I am very familiar Arduino Yun... on Yun I can configure the wifi changing the file \etc\config\wireless in the Linux side. I have developed a web interface to configure wifi. Should I do something similar with Netduino.

Maybe for my purpose I need just a shield ... or that someone would create a Netduino with integrated wifi! :)

What do you think?

No. You do it via the Edimax web interface ...

Plug the Edimax into your PC ethernet port for initial setup ( Disable wireless and enable the ethernet port on the PC). The Edimax IP address is, 192.168.2.1. Set your PC IP address, to say, 192.168.2.10. Login in to the Web interface from your PC (192.168.2.1 browser address) and follow the configuration instructions of the PDF in the link. Once you have configured it for your network, change the PC IP address subnet part back to your network subnet. In your browser, type in google.com and you will get the Google page if the SSID and wpa2 key are correct for your wireless network, but now you are connecting to the Internet via the Edimax. The setup has changed the functionality of the Edimax from a router to an ethernet to wireless adapter

Unplug the Edimax and restore your PC settings. Now, power up the Edimax and wait a couple of minutes for your router to recognize it. Open a command window and type arp -a. You should see the Edimax IP and its MAC adress. You now have a universal ethernet to wireless adapter for a specific network. I have used it give an OBI110 VoIP telephone adapter wireless capability on my network. To give your Netduino wireless capability, simply connect the Edimax ethernet port to your Netduino ethernet port. The Netduino IP address will appear (you might have to PING it first) in the ARP table along with the Edimax. You address the Netduino normally by its Ip address except now it is connected to your router wirelessly, not by wire. The Edimax simply acts a conduit. It is completly transparent to the Netduino. If you want to change the Edimax to a different network simply open its web page with its IP address and make the changes.

As for a Netduino with wireless, everyone wants that. And as for the shield, that is your choice. I have read of problems on the forum with some WiFi shields, but I can't recall what they were.  I started with the Edimax early on and have stuck with it. There are other products like the Edimax; for example, Asus WL-330gE and the Tplink 702. I could never get the Tplink to work and the Asus is easier to setup than the Edimax, but it is slightly larger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.