Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

From Prototype to real deal

Netduino Prototype mass Market selling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sinclas

sinclas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hi Netduino Community,

I have been working on a small project that uses the Netduino. The project is basic and I am a beginner.  I bought an enclosure and made the device look pretty cool.  I showed this to some store owners and they wanted to purchase a few dozen.  Exciting, but....   I used a Netduino Plus2 and never use any of the networking features, USB or power barrel. overkill choice.   So I thought perhaps using a netduino Mini would make more sense however they want to buys dozen of these.   The question:  What does the typical roadmap look like for a netduino project going from Prototype to retail?   China?  What do Netduino engineers do to engineer the product to a small but reasonable market.  Aside from the business aspect (copyright, FCC, etc..) what has anybody done to take that next step?

Thanks!  And thanks to the community for helping me with this project.

-Steve

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hi sinclas,

If you're making a few hundred (or perhaps even a few thousand), using the Netduino 2 (without Ethernet) is probably a good choice. In volume, that board is actually less expensive than the Netduino Mini.

If you're making many thousands of units, you could also hire an electrical engineer to create you a derivative board that integrates your electronics. The design files are open source, so if you go this route there is no need to pay royalties, etc.

Chris

#3 sinclas

sinclas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the insight.  That makes sense if I am going to roll my own production line.  Is there a resource (blog, website, etc..) that describes the process of going from prototype to retail?  The Netduino is great, and than you for responding!

-Steve

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Hi Steve,

We don't have a blog about going from prototype to retail, but if people are interested we could create a thread detailing the process with one of our own products (prototyped on Netduino).

Chris

#5 sinclas

sinclas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

That would be a good idea. Making a retail product in a limited production would a cool forum.   I am sensing that I am heading into an area where experience is really import.  It would be very helpful for a forum to help weight in on decisions where I may be buying thousands of dollars worth of Netduinos, boards, etc... and then be told "Oh, don't do that...do this...".  its one thing to spend hundreds on a prototype because of the mistakes, but when you have your final "product" ready to sell through some local stores, a lot of questions begin to form.  Mounting, cases, marketing, package, etc.  I think on a small scale it would be cool to do, but the mistakes when ordering lots of quantity would really take the spark out of the fun (there is a punn in there sorry ;)).

Thanks,

Steve 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Netduino, Prototype, mass Market, selling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.