Beta program new firmware and modules - Netduino Go - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Beta program new firmware and modules

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

Hi beastyboy, Lots of news for Netduino Go coming this quarter. Including release of some of the long-anticipated new modules. BTW, the smaller shops usually just carry the Starter Kits--since carrying a ton of SKUs (for Arduino or Netduino Go or any platform) is hard to justify. Having it in stock at Amazon and Mouser makes it an even harder justification. From our perspective, we want to support the smaller resellers as we can--but first we focus on making sure users have places to purchase hardware worldwide. Chris

Dear Chris,

Well the first quarter has gone by and the announcement above is one big fart again( this is the fourth time).

Chris the point in time has come that I no longer can wait, and I no longer are willing to defend the total lack of communication from you or the  secret labs company.

Again you do not seem to read your PM messages and basically you are ignoring the people that at least take the time to post in the forums.

I have on back order all the modules that are available from mouser for more then 2 months wondering when they are coming.

I am at a point that anyone that comes NEW  into the GO forum and asks anything about the GO, to just tell them they need to cancel their order or at least have patience for two years.

This is NOT funny any more and definitely not acceptable.

Best regards,

Olaf van Schoten

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#2 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

Dear community, Secret Labs,

Is anyone actively testing or doing stuff for the GO at the moment ?

Does anyone know why we did not get an update this quarter regarding the new modules?

There was a promise there would be a Beta program or new firmware but I have not seen ANY indication that anyone of the community has been doing anything related.

There are no posts about GOBUS 1.5 or any updates on the gadgeteer or Network modules that where already produced more then 1.5 years ago.

Best regards.

Olaf van Schoten

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Hey Olaf,

Right now we're focused on the 4.3.2 firmware (which involves 10,000s of new lines of code), which is a pre-requisite for the new gear. We expect to complete it in August, and then we can push some of the new GoBus gear into production.

We will probably have a beta program on the Gadgeteer Adapter firmware--but since it's sharing the same firmware as Shield Base the beta might actually take place with Shield Base. We need to get 4.3.2 and a few STM8S-based modules out first though.

I understand that there is a lot of demand out there for more accessories for Netduino Go. We're working on it, but for better or worse these things take time and they have pre-requisites. Sorry for any frustration that has caused you. Hopefully we can un-frustrate you in a few months with some new gear.

Thank you for your patience, Olaf.

Chris

#4 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi Chris,

Looking at the RS-232 module does this mean we can expect a Beta for the N-GO 4.3.2 firmware anytime now?

Cheers,

Olaf

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi Olaf,

The 4.3.2 firmware is our big "convergence" firmware for Netduino Plus 2 and Netduino Go.  The beta will ship this summer for both boards...first for Netduino 2/Netduino Plus 2 and then for Netduino Go.  For the first time, both boards' firmware will be built off the same firmware.

From a perspective of "new lines of code", this will be the biggest Netduino firmware update to date...so any beta testing you can do would be much appreciated :)

Thanks Olaf,

Chris

#6 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi Chris,

How is the new firmware progressing?

Cheers Olaf

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hi Olaf,

We're wrapping up the last few weeks of code on the 4.3.2 update for Netduino Plus 2 now. We've also been testing out a few of the new GoBus modules, including serial communication (virtual UART). We typically ship one thing at a time, so our primary Netduino focus for the next few weeks will be getting 4.3.2 ready for N2/NP2; it's a huge update with a ton of new code.

BTW, I was grabbing a sandwich with Scott Hanselman the other day and he took a photo of some of the new GoBus gear we've been working on. A few of these will be new to you ;)
http://instagram.com/p/qSO033j2SR/

P.S. We usually put black IDC ports on the beta units, and then we use blue IDC ports on the production units. That's how we easily distinguish them in the lab.

Chris

#8 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Hi Chris,

http://forums.netdui...en-in-the-wild/

We already noticed, as shame you did not use it to post an update...  

You still require a copy supplier  :D

Communication, communication....

Cheers Olaf

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

Hey beastyboy,

We actually weren't ready to announce those new modules yet, since the firmware isn't ready. But Scott was too quick with his phone camera ;)

Scott did ask permission for the photo, by the way, since he knew they were unannounced. He's a great guy.

Chris

#10 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

Nearly August and the coming month should be interesting,

How are things going Chris ?  ETA ? next month ? Jan 2015 ? 

Cheers 

Olaf

#11 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

Hi Chris,

Is there any progress, its been 3 weeks now, can we get a little heads up on how things are going?

Beta coming this month maybe ?

I was changing some module code implementations myself but as probably a lot has changed for the 4.2 firmware it makes no sense to go on.

Cheers,

Olaf

#12 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hi Chris,

Seems I am one of the most consistent posters here.

So here we go:

"We typically ship one thing at a time, so our primary Netduino focus for the next few weeks will be getting 4.3.2 ready for N2/NP2; it's a huge update with a ton of new code."
That was 14th July.....  Maybe I did not look good enough but I did not see any postings in the N2/NP2 forums indicating something is coming up.
For the Go I am just not gone comment .. 3rd quarter is well on its way and you seem to be lacking in communication.
And every time again you do not deliver.

I also have two agent watches from you that I am not going to comment on because I could write the agent forums full with the promises made on this forum but I am not that type of person.
This all again comes down to one simple problem which Secret Labs lacks.
PR and professionalism dealing with time lines and keeping your customers involved.
The GO forums are dead, the people that did so much on it and produced modules have abandoned their production of modules. 
What the @$%@$%# is it that it is so difficult to you or someone else just posts once a week or at least a month what you are actually doing.
So simple and it would have taken a lot out of the heat of your agent #$%#$%-up.
People do NOT accept the way you are communicating.
The problem is NOT that we dont get the watches modules or whatever on time... It is the total lack of decent communication.
This makes these customer and supporters,fans and funders feel disrespected.
Even if you work your @ss of this does not give you any apologies for not communicating especially not if you post that you are going to take up on the lack of communication and then do not do it !
We love the products.... but how you(is there anyone else in the company?) communicate will never earn you an Oscar so don't try to get one, delegate things you do not have time for.
So Chris , you probably going to hate me for it but you are probably not going to read this anyway.
Please post an update of any product(s) on the 14th and last day of the month if its a simple one liner or a complete book we don't care.
This cant be to hard can it ?
I can send you and outlook calendar invite if you need someone to remember.
If I don't get a decent reply then.. well I will only will be disappointed.

Best regards,
Olaf van Schoten

Oh and .. maybe you should read you PM messages...

#13 neslekkim

neslekkim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

It looks like you are the only one that still are following this, nothing seems to happen to the Go, 2.5 years after it was released.

Would be better to have some open development around micro framework, for instance to use on the new Nucleo boards, put it on github so people can work with it instead of this wasting of time.. 

--
Asbjørn

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi Olaf,

Quick update: we're currently testing an early version of the 4.3.2 firmware.

We can open that up for beta a bit later this year; I'll have better dates regarding beta once we have finished this round of testing. There's a major new feature in there which will take us a bit more time to flush out.

The Ethernet GoBus module will require 4.3.2 or newer firmware.

Chris

#15 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update however just sent that very very early version to me, my Go is Homeless and Jobless so it could use some electrons to go through it.

I will take the pics booting the new firmware and showing it off here so we all can have a look at it.

Cheers,

Olaf

#16 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi Olaf,

Do you have a Netduino Plus 2? We don't have the early Netduino Go 4.3.2 firmware build for distribution yet--but we could include you on the NP2 beta and then get you the Netduino Go bits when they're ready.

The reason we're testing the NP2 beta externally first is that it has a series of networking fixes in it. This updated codebase is a prerequisite for the Ethernet GoBus module...but we're testing the code on NP2 first (since that's hardware which many users already have).

Chris

#17 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Quick update: we're currently testing an early version of the 4.3.2 firmware.

I assume that this is your own 4.3.2 firmware, and does not include any new bits from Microsoft? Except of course support for VS 2013 and later VS versions, which has been announced by Microsoft earlier this year.

#18 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi Chris,

Not at the moment I would need to order one additionally from Mouser.

Cheers

Olaf

#19 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi Cuno,

I assume that this is your own 4.3.2 firmware, and does not include any new bits from Microsoft? Except of course support for VS 2013 and later VS versions, which has been announced by Microsoft earlier this year.

We tend to include the latest bits from Secret Labs, from the Netduino community and from Microsoft (and bits from NETMF which were contributed to NETMF by Secret Labs and the Netduino community) in the latest firmware releases. We will do so with 4.3.2. There's a ton of new code in there and a ton of testing that's been and being done.

Plus there's even more NETMF goodies coming during 2014 (some of which is already done and some of which is scheduled for launch this year). With Cortex microcontroller costs falling, there has quite possibly never been a better time to be a .NET embedded developer.

Thank you for being such a generous member of the community, Cuno.

Chris

#20 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

Not at the moment I would need to order [a Netduino Plus 2] additionally from Mouser.

Dagnabit. If there was time to send you a refurb unit before the beta began, I would send you one :(

I won't ask you to pick up an NP2 for the beta...but if you happen to get or need one for whatever purpose we'd love to have you on the beta. Just PM me. And thank you.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.