Commercial Product using Netduino - not competitive - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Commercial Product using Netduino - not competitive

commercial netduino clone board microframewrok

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boiacchi

boiacchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi,

I have done some research to understand if the netduino it is suitable to build up commercial products and I have understood the netduino it is not the best choice for that.

I think netduino is the best choice for those who want to build little device in their spare time  (hobby) rather than designing something that can potentially be sold as a commercial product. 

The problem is mainly the cost. A device based on netduino cannot cost less than the netduino itself which would make your product not price competitive considering that there are arduino base product running on a 5$ PIC.

I think netduino can be the right choice to build a prototype because it is very simple to program and debugging but for commercial products the price must be as low as possible.

My question is what would be the best approach in the case I want to use the micro-framework to produce something that has been "prototyped" using netduino (which should not cost more than 10$) ?

#2 Juzzer

Juzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

Short answer...you cant....

http://uk.mouser.com...KYHKw08UF8YuIh3

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Well, you cannot really compare a $5 PIC with a STM32F Cortex microcontroller - which costs ~$10 - $20 in single quantities, depending on the model and variant. So, you'd need to select an appropriate microcontroller, there are many of them even in STM families and then reduce cost by mass production - but we are talking hundred of thousands here and even then you'd probably have hard time to meet your $10 goal. For example, Netduino 2's STM32F205RFT6 costs ~$7 in 1000 quantity, plus crystal, passives, other components, PCB, assembly, testing etc...

#4 boiacchi

boiacchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for your answers guys.  :D

If it is not possible to meet my goal ($10) which would be the cheapest solution? could you drive me to any electronic manufactures that may help me to produce a low cost netduino/micro-framewrok based board?  :ph34r:

#5 Savvkin

Savvkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:57 PM

According to UK Mouser cheapest ST MCU can run NETMF is STM32F103RET6. I'm currently playing with this one.

But it's better to take STM32F205RET6, since F2/F4 series are widely supported by community.

What is electronic manufacturer you think is going to do for you? If you want complete custom board prototype (design, schematics, board, assembly) get ready to pay 5k+ USD. But if you already have complete project ready to manufacture, the cheapest way it to post buying request on Alibaba.com.

#6 Juzzer

Juzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Depends on what you are trying to do.

I am running on a STM32F401CEU6 and got a price of around £2.50 but MOQ is ~1500 as currently they are not stocked...

#7 Juzzer

Juzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

Think this is the current winner....

http://uk.futureelec...3RFT6.aspx?IM=0

#8 boiacchi

boiacchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks you all guys!

#9 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

You might also want to check out this interesting alternative to STM micros: 32-bit ARM MCUs by Spansion, .NET MF port on CodePlex (via GHI forums). Not sure about the availability, though.

#10 Savvkin

Savvkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

I think after funding $1M+ to Secret Labs there will be no alternatives to STM32 in NETMF ;)

#11 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

I think after funding $1M+ to Secret Labs there will be no alternatives to STM32 in NETMF ;)

The AGENT watch does not use ST micro, but Atmel (SAM4S, and a secondary tinyAVR)  :P

#12 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

The AGENT watch does not use ST micro, but Atmel (SAM4S, and a secondary tinyAVR)  :P

We'll actually be releasing the SAM4S open source port of NETMF too. :)

Right now we have products running on STM32F401 (which we prototyped with Netduino). At around $3.50 in reel volume, it's a great chip. It only took an evening to get the Netduino STM32 firmware running on it.

Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: commercial, netduino, clone, board, microframewrok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.