Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Using the FTDIchip VNC2 with a Netduino ver 1 unit

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hello!

Back around the same time that FTDI came out with a much better USB to RS232 family member, (FT232R) they also launched the VNC2 device as a follow on to their moderately successful VNC1 device.

Both provide a USB host to an embedded application when the original design didn't have one. They are typically used to enable a user to log relevant information to a Flash device using the USB2 standard. And indeed that's the favorite method of doing so over at both sides of the community, the Arduino guys have had some success doing so, and the people at Parallax sell a preconfigured board, such that it gets attached to a BS2 design using either serial or SPI methods.

The whole family is described in the Vinculum II pages. The family also has a design board called the Vinco and what I am looking at doing is making use of the thing to facilitate enabling the whole idea of adding a USB host to a N1 device. 

It can be connected using either SPI or serial to do its business. I freely admit that both on the N1 are a trifle confusing, and of the two I'd prefer to enable SPI. Would any of you have any ideas as to how to go about doing that?

As for where I am going with this whole business the pages referenced above contain ideas. I figured if I do get things to work via the design board, the next step will be to track down the matching module and apply the successful image to it.

More information:

According to FTDIchip, the widget can also be used to connect to an Android running phone in accessory mode. What I plan on doing is having the N1 deliver received information from my hardware to the widget, which presupposes that the hardware can be configured to do that.

Edited by Dr Who, 19 April 2014 - 03:56 AM.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.