Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Running netduino from a power bank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone is running a netduino from a mobile charger power bank? I have attempted to connect use one, and it works fine for the first 10 seconds and then just power off. The current draw is about ~65mA, and the power bank I am attempting to use has a 11,000 mAh battery with two outputs (1A and 2.1A respectively). I am assuming that there is circuitry preventing a 'trickle charge' from the device which I think is quite stupid.

If anyone is successfully using a power bank, can you let me know what brand you are using?

#2 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

Just did some more testing, it seems that the voltage output of the power pack drops from 5.16V to 3.51V after approximately 20 seconds.

#3 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

I got another power bank with 6000mAh capacity. This one powers the Netduino without any issues. I have plugged in the 11,000mAh power bank into the charger port of the 6000mAh unit. The 11,000mAh charges the 6000mAh unit. This should give me around 10-11 continuous days of running time.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:50 AM

600mL,

Thanks for the follow-up. What are you building? Curious minds want to know :)

Chris

#5 Tobias Vandenbempt

Tobias Vandenbempt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGenth, Belgium

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

600mL,

Thanks for the follow-up. What are you building? Curious minds want to know :)

Chris

I am one of those :)

#6 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

It is just a data logger that I have connected between the analogue front end and microprocessor of a custom hardware device that seems to be activating in transit. It should be impossible for this device to switch on, but it does. I am logging any data to the SD card that is being received to hopefully narrow down/find out what is switching it on.

I actually need to order a few more netduino's and am wondering how much more current the netduino plus 2 uses over the netduino plus. Can I switch off any peripherals that I am not using?

#7 600mL

600mL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:49 AM

So I ordered two netduino plus 2 boards.

Power usage with current program:

Netduino Plus = ~85mA

Netduino Plus 2 = ~140mA

Netduino Plus 2 with Ethernet disabled = ~45mA

Is there anything else I should disable? I can't disable the SD card because I need it, everything else is fair game.

#8 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

How did you disable the Ethernet?

#9 Tobias Vandenbempt

Tobias Vandenbempt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGenth, Belgium

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

How did you disable the Ethernet?

Good question, my temperature logger logs temperature each 30 minutes. I could make the Netduino more power efficient if turned down the Ethernet between calls. 

Interesting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.