Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Multiplexing I2C?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zoot

Zoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

I'm hoping that someone can help...

I'm making a small weather logger, using a humidity sensor, real time clock, barometer and a temperature sensor all built on an Arduino shield, fitted with an SD card.

The problem that I'm having is that the RTC (DS1307) and the barometer chip (BM085) both use I2C.  I've searched the forum for a way to have these two items share the I2C bus, but haven't found anything.  I'm not sure it's even possible.  Would a better solution be to hardware multiplex with an external logic chip?

I'd much rather do it in code if I can due to limited space on the shield.  Any ideas?

#2 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hi Zoot, I2C is intended for having multiple devices connected to the same bus, so this doesn't sound like something that should be a problem unless the devices have the same I2C address. Do they?

#3 Zoot

Zoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

AFAIK, the devices don't have the same address.  I'm a little new to I2C.  Are there any tutorials that you can recommend so that I can get a better understanding of it? 

#4 Frode

Frode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

This forum post is probably a good startingpoint.

#5 Zoot

Zoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the link.  Just what I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.