Netduino Plus2: is it really dead? - Netduino Plus 2 (and Netduino Plus 1) - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino Plus2: is it really dead?

Netduino Plus2 dead reset no response pinging

Best Answer DanielK, 22 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Chris,

you made my day :)

After erasing the app as described my board is fine again.

I´m still not able to blink an external LED on pin 13 (or 12 or 11 or...) using a simple LED with an 330R resistor or just an LED on pin 13, but this is a different story.  By the way, onboard LED with exactly the same code works fine.

I have another issue with the Adafruit Ultimate GPS breakout but this is obviously caused by the GPS module. It´s not working if it is attched to the Netduino (for power supply or even with external power supply and data connection (Rx/Tx) )only). Looks like this breakout is very sensitive to electrical noise. However, Netduino is working again. Thanks a lot !!!!!

Daniel

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DanielK

DanielK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi there,

I´m pretty new to the Netduino Plus 2 but have some experience with Arduino and electronics/programming in general. Two days ago I received my new Netduino Plus 2 and it looks like I killed it this morning. How? Probably by simply connecting an LED (???)

What I did to kill it (obviously):

- use a simple red 5mm LED with an 330R resistor on +Pin

- tested the LED befor using a 3V power source: it works

- connected the LED to Netduino board pins 3V3 and GND. It lights up.

- connected the LED to Netduino board pins Digital I/O 13 and GND. It stays dark (ok, pin is not set by software)

- wrote a little program that just sets up pin 13 as OutputPort and sets the pin to True

static readonly OutputPort _led = new OutputPort(Cpu.Pin.GPIO_Pin13, false);

_led.Write(true);

- deployed the program to the board

- program runs (could verify it using breakpoints), but LED stays dark

- modified the program, tried to deploy it and nothing happens. VS stucks in "Preparing to deploy the assemblies to the device". After approx. 5mins: "Unable to communicate with device - USB:Netduino"

- tried to deploy one of my older programs (w/o any LED stuff) that worked fine the other day: same problem :(

What I tried to reanimate it:

- deconnect from USB, reconnect. no success

- restart the computer (several times): no success

- use another USB port: no success

- press the button on the board while reconnecting, afetr reconnecting etc, all possible combinations: no success

- started NETMF Deployment Tool and reconnect the board with button pressed, tried the well-known reset procedures (ping, erase, etc): they don´t work with my Netduino

Current situation:

- power LED on the board is on

- onboard LED goes on for approx. 3 seconds after pressing the button

- when I connect the board to my PC while NETMF Deployment Tool is running it recognizes the Netduino. It shows up in the dropdown as "NetduinoPlus2_Netduino"

- Target/Device capabilities brings "Error: No response from device" after a few secs

- Ping says "Pinging...." and after a while "Error: No response from device" as well

- when I connect the board to the PC while NETMF Deployment Tool is running with onboard button pressed the board is not recognized by the software. onboard LED stays on forever

- I´m sad and mad and... :(

What´s next:

- I´ll go biking now and look for a nice and peaceful place to bury my Netduino...

Looks like I have burned 55€ in 5.5 seconds. And my brand new GPS shield becomes useless too.

Should I by a new board? Should I avoid using LEDs (if this is really the cause which I just cannot believe)?

Should I return to the old Arduino which still works fine. Even with LEDs, even with the very same LED?

Any ideas how to test or reanimate the board?

may thanks in advance,

Daniel

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Hi Daniel,

Let's get you back up and running. You can plug an LED into pins D13 and GND; that's not an issue.

[BTW, do _not_ plug an LED directly into 3V3, unless you have a resistor inline. Otherwise you could damage your LED.]

Please go grab Netduino Update from the Netduino Plus 2 v4.3.1 firmware update thread. Put your board into bootloader mode (holding the button while plugging it in via USB) and it should show up in the tool.

Then click the options link next to your device, and find the "erase app" button on the last tab. Erase your app, close the Netduino Update app and detach/reattach your board. You should be back up and going now.

If you want, you can also update to the latest and greatest firmware. Just be sure to install the 4.3.1 SDKs if you do that.

Welcome to the Netduino community,

Chris

#3 DanielK

DanielK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:35 AM   Best Answer

Thanks Chris,

you made my day :)

After erasing the app as described my board is fine again.

I´m still not able to blink an external LED on pin 13 (or 12 or 11 or...) using a simple LED with an 330R resistor or just an LED on pin 13, but this is a different story.  By the way, onboard LED with exactly the same code works fine.

I have another issue with the Adafruit Ultimate GPS breakout but this is obviously caused by the GPS module. It´s not working if it is attched to the Netduino (for power supply or even with external power supply and data connection (Rx/Tx) )only). Looks like this breakout is very sensitive to electrical noise. However, Netduino is working again. Thanks a lot !!!!!

Daniel

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi Daniel,

What is the Vf (forward drop voltage) of your LED? If you've used it with a 5V Arduino before, you will want to recalculate your resistor value to a 3.3V power source. Also...make sure that your forward voltage maximum is <3.3V.

Your Netduino really shouldn't be super-noisy... IS it possible that the GPS receiver just needs a ton of power? When you connect via TX/RX only, did you also connect GND between the GPS receiver and Netduino? You need a common ground...but I'm assuming you already knew and checked that.

Chris

#5 DanielK

DanielK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi Chris,

I´ve got the LED finally working. I just used the wrong pin definition ;) My bad...

I currently don´t know the power consumption of the GPS module, will measure this later. But I think it should be quite low and not to much for the Netduino board.

Here is what I tried so far:

• connect GPS breakout to Netduino´s 5V and GND and to Digital0 (Rx) and Digital1 (Tx). GPS breakout is blinking constantly and won´t get a sat fix even after hours. NMEA sentences are sent and readable by Netduino, so data connection obviously works.
  • connect GPS breakout to Netduino´s 5V and GND only, no data connection: LED is blinking constantly, no sat fix even after hours.
  • connect GPS breakout to 3 AA batteries only, no connection to Netduino board: LED signals a sat fix after approx. 30 secs.
  • connect GPS breakout to a USB-5V power supply, no connection to Netduino: LED signals a sat fix after approx. 30 secs.
  • connect GPS breakout to a USB-5V power supply, connect power supply GND to Netduino GND only, no other connections: LED signals a sat fix after approx. 30 secs.
  • connect GPS breakout to a USB 5V power supply, power supply GND to Netduino GND and Rx/Tx from breakout to Netduino Dig0/Dig1: LED is blinking constantly, no sat fix even after hours.
  • connect GPS breakout to a USB 5V power supply, power supply GND to Netduino GND, no Rx/Tx connections: LED signals a sat fix after approx. 30 secs. Connecting Rx/Tx now: sat fix is lost after a few secs. Disconnect Rx/Tx: sat fix comes back immediately.

But this probably goes beyond the scope of this thread, isn´t it? Maybe I should start a new one here.

I already started a thread in the Adafruit forum, maybe they have an idea...

Daniel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Netduino, Plus2, dead, reset, no response, pinging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.