Native Code in C++ - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Native Code in C++

C++ Native Code

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

Good day everyone,

Can someone please point me out where to find some good information on how to deploy C++ code from VS2010 or VS2012 to my Netduino Plus 2 without the .NETMF in it and using the MiniJTAG?

Thank you

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Unfortunately, Visual Studio does not support deployment over JTAG and I am not sure its ARM compiler can generate code for Cortex-M series. Probably the closest thing is VisualGDB.

#3 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

Thanks CW2, I installed the tool you suggested as add-on to VS2010 and the trial will run for 30 days. I order the MiniJTAG last night and I should get it next week. Do I need the MiniJTAG to deploy my code binaries and I can you debug the code with it as well?

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Well, it depends on what exactly do you mean by "MiniJTAG"?

You'd need in-circuit debugger/programmer to deploy and debug the code, popular choices are for example ST-LINK/V2 or Segger J-Link. There are many others, but you should check VisualGDB support; they have tutorials for ST-Link and J-Link, so these two should work. They have standard 20 pin 0.1" pitch JTAG connector, so you'd need also an adapter for 10 pin 0.05" pitch mini JTAG, which looks like this or this, and if your Netduino does not come with the pin header, you'd need it too (FCI part at Digikey, or similar).

Tip: You can make el cheapo mini JTAG header from a copper wire: cut 10 pieces about 10 mm long from solid core copper wire that fits into Netduino board holes, insert them all into the female header so they stay in place and have proper length, stick through the board, solder and carefully cut the excess  ;)

#5 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the information CW2.

I've ordered these 2 items from Mouser:

And the headers from Amazon:

So hopefully I am getting the right parts to work with VisualGDB, time will tell once I get them next week.

#6 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

What do you guys use as an alternative IDE to deploy C++ code to the Cortex M4? I don't mind paying but is it there a good free one out there?

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Hi Giuliano,

What do you guys use as an alternative IDE to deploy C++ code to the Cortex M4? I don't mind paying but is it there a good free one out there?

We typically use either Keil MDK-ARM or IAR EWARM. For small projects there are free versions. For bigger projects...the nice native C tools can get expensive.

Chris

#8 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the information Chris. I am going to try them out.

Also, for the community out there, TASKING is free for personal/hobby use, and they gave me a license for 1 year but there is a learning curve on how to use it. It would be nice to be able to do all these in Visual Studio.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: C++, Native Code

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.