Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Source Control for Porting Kit and netduino

Git Porting Kit source control

Best Answer CW2, 04 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

There are certainly more ways how to do it, based on personal preferences and development workflow, but you'd probably need to set up a few branches - I usually use something like this: 

master  O-- ...                                                         --[My 1.0]...
         \                                                                   ^
netmf     \--[NETMF4.3]--[NETMF4.3QFE1] ... [NETMF vNext]                   /
                                \                        \  (merge)        /
netduino                         \--[SL 4.3.1] ...    [SL vNext]...       /
                                          \                              /     
my-netduino-changes                        \[Change #1]--[Change #2]... /
This allows me to have complete reference of the official .NET Micro Framework codebase (it would be easier if the Microsoft team decided to use git on CodePlex) and also vendor firmware releases. Every new release is simply added to the appropriate branch, then you can decide what changes will be merged where, if at all. Similarly, development of modifications (features, bug fixes, whatever) happens in a dedicated branch and the finished work will be merged where needed - although it might sound a little bit complicated at first, it is actually very easy to do, especially in git. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nicolas Besson

Nicolas Besson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

Hi Guys,

I would like to keep tracking of the modifications that I applied on the netduino firmware under source control software like GIT. As the BSP is not clearly split from the Microsoft Porting Kit source code, I would like to know how you are bring in up your repository in order to easily migrate to the comming release of the .Net Micro Framework ?

Any ideas is greatly appreciate.

Regards

- BIllounet

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:41 PM   Best Answer

There are certainly more ways how to do it, based on personal preferences and development workflow, but you'd probably need to set up a few branches - I usually use something like this: 
master  O-- ...                                                         --[My 1.0]...
         \                                                                   ^
netmf     \--[NETMF4.3]--[NETMF4.3QFE1] ... [NETMF vNext]                   /
                                \                        \  (merge)        /
netduino                         \--[SL 4.3.1] ...    [SL vNext]...       /
                                          \                              /     
my-netduino-changes                        \[Change #1]--[Change #2]... /
This allows me to have complete reference of the official .NET Micro Framework codebase (it would be easier if the Microsoft team decided to use git on CodePlex) and also vendor firmware releases. Every new release is simply added to the appropriate branch, then you can decide what changes will be merged where, if at all. Similarly, development of modifications (features, bug fixes, whatever) happens in a dedicated branch and the finished work will be merged where needed - although it might sound a little bit complicated at first, it is actually very easy to do, especially in git.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.