Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Netduino & RF transmitter to pair with and control smart electricity socket

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 YvesGoeleven

YvesGoeleven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

Not sure if it qualifies as a 'project', but I played around using my Netduino Plus 2 to turn on/off a lamp using an RF transmitter and a smart socket

I bought the following Kit: http://iprototype.be...first-rf434-kit, which consists of a 434Mhz RF transmitter and DIO smart sockets, and ported the arduino code for  the protocol of DIO to netduino.

If I got it right this protocol should be similar or equal for multiple vendors including DIO, KAKU & Home-Easy as they all use the same hardware (signal length may vary though)

The source code for the protocol is available on github

Enjoy turning on/off your lamps or other stuff at home :)

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Sure it counts as a project, more than well!

I've done a fair deal of similar RF control stuff too and found it very rewarding.

Very interesting and great news!

I actually didn't think Netduino was fast enough for bit-banging this (not even Netduino 2) and thought you had at least use SPI for this.

The natural next step would be adding a webbserver so that you can use a smartphone as a remote control but I guess you already thought of that.

#3 YvesGoeleven

YvesGoeleven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yes, that crossed my mind

But I won't be using a webserver, from a security & manageability point of view I don't want anyone to call into my devices. Instead I want them to call out, to an internet hosted (and well known) servicebus. Trusted apps can than send messages to that isecured endpoint.

PS: I will be releasing that bus to the public in a few days or weeks as well...

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

One would think you were in control of what devices are accessing your local network?

At least I think I am - of mine, not yours, that is :-)

#5 Paul Newton

Paul Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, UK

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I agree with Hanz - that counts as a great "project".

Its always worrying connecting things up to the internet - I have held back so far.

Even without the internet, the idea of anything remote controlled from where the user can't supervise it, is a hazard. Even the simplest of devices could burn you're house down.

For example, the cat knocks over the desk lamp and when it is remotely turned on the bulb gets hot and burns the carpet....

I wonder if insurance companies will start to add rules about this sort of thing.

Paul

#6 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

Aha, I thought we were talking about remote controlling from within the LAN only.

I wouldn't have my gear connected to the internet accessible from the outside world.

In some home automation product broshures, manufacturers push for things like being able to control the lighting in your home from away on vacation in another country or perhaps starting your sauna from the car on the way home. Dangerous madness.

#7 YvesGoeleven

YvesGoeleven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I'm monitoring my chilli seedlings remotely, the netduino is monitoring soil temp and sending the temp info to my phone (remotely). Now I'm adding capability to remotely turn on the illuminescent light. (I don't have a cat).

It's good feedback though that you guys are hesitant to hook devices up to the internet. I'm pretty confident it's safe for telemetry information, maybe commands that change your devices' state may be a bit different, I guess it depends on what you want to turn on/off.

#8 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Exactly, I see no hazards in what you're doing and naturally telemetry is harmless.

In my home, I got a networked IR gateway (iTach) for controlling all my A/V gear and built an RF bridge for controlling wall oulets like the ones you're using. I'm using my iPhone/iPad as a WLAN remote control but it only works within the domestic LAN.

http://www.avsforum....for-itach-irule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.