Need advices on choosing MCU boards: NP2 or Olimex STM32-E407? - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Need advices on choosing MCU boards: NP2 or Olimex STM32-E407?

Advices Netduino Plus 2 Comparison C/C++ programming Learning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M.S. Lindy

M.S. Lindy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

This is actually a followup question of the MCU board selection on Quora

Simply, I need a MCU board to practice system level programming from the bottom driver layer to the application layer of the software stack. I've found Netduino Plus 2 and Olimex STM32-E407.

I plan to use C/C++ to program the board by reading manuals. By searching the forum, looks like NP2 is capable of the native code programming, though I am not sure how to program it, or one more step, to debug it. I have a limited budget >$100, and don't have much EE knowledge for wiring, breadboard, resistor/transistor stuff.. so a cheap and simple MCU board is what I need. My practice plan is writing full stack software to build a webserver at the top layer. so ethernet and (better) micro SD are needed.

The Olimex one is expensive, and needs a separate programmer (and a debugger for sure)! I am not sure how about the NP2. Any one have experiences or ideas? 

Oh, it is better to be able to develop the C/C++ based program for such board on Linux or at least UNIX-like platform.

I'd really appreciate your advice!

Edited by M.S. Lindy, 16 February 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#2 Cuno

Cuno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationZürich / Switzerland

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Maybe you'd also want to look at ST's Discovery boards, for the F405 or the newer F429.

As this *** forum software doesn't allow me to paste an URL (this used to work), please Google for

32F429IDISCOVERY kit STMicroelectronics

Cuno

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

I'd go with Cuno's suggestion and have a look at the STM32F4 Discovery board.  It's cheap (£14 in the UK) and readily available (check out Farnell, RS Components).

As far as using Unix or Windows I don't think it really matters.  CooCox have an IDE based upon Eclipse, you just need to make sure your chosen chip is supported by the environment.  Hussam Al-Hertani has published some tutorials on getting Eclipse and open source tools working with the STM32 F4 Discovery board.  I've followed Hussam's tutorials for WIndows and I have also installed CooCox.  Coocox is a little more restricted but it just works out of the box.  It also has the ability to add source code to the project when needed (say you want to use the UART then it adds in the UART C driver for you).

Hope this helps,

Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 M.S. Lindy

M.S. Lindy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

@Cuno and @Nevyn: I didn't put enough information in this post. My fault. My plan is building a web server at the upper layer. But I don't see ethernet and micro SD on Discovery board. I'd rather avoid extra wiring for such devices due to the lack of EE knowledge :(

@Nevyn: Is CooCox IDE cross platform? I saw this on their website: 

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Verdana, sans-serif;]System requirements:[/color]
  • Windows XP SP3/Windows Vista/Windows 7

#5 baxter

baxter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

As this *** forum software doesn't allow me to paste an URL (this used to work), please Google for ...

Cuno

I also have this problem with Internet Explorer 11 (and maybe 10). I am using Chrome to respond and cut and paste works just fine. 

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

On copy and paste...this is unfortunately a bug in IP.Board's 3rd-party editor: http://community.inv...te-issue-r42941 The issue was recently fixed in the editor, so we're hoping that the next minor update to IP.Board will include the fix. In the meantime: if you press the "light-switch" toolbar button in the top-left corner of your post/reply, you'll go into text mode. Copy and paste works fine in text mode. Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.