Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Problems on upgrading firmware

SAM-BA

Best Answer orenduino, 05 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

Hi.

Welp.. as a noob, I have made a very stupid mistake, which I feel,, welp, never mind.

By mis-awareness, I have chose the AT91SAM7xe512 instead of AT91SAM7x512.

I found it while watching the video :)

Anyway, it is working now.

I will continue the firmware upgrade according to the instructions.

Sorry & Thank you

Oren

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 orenduino

orenduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi

I have just purchaced a NETDUINO 2.

While trying to compile sample software in c#, it said that it needs Firmware 4.2 while I have 4.1xxxx

I found out that i need to upgrade the TinyBooter.

I follow the instructions according to this:

http://wiki.netduino...ep-by-step.ashx

0. installed SAM-BA 2.12

1. I have erased the older TinyBooter by connecting the 3.3v to the GOLDEN SUQARE.

2. Connect it to 3 different computers (WinXP, WIN7, WIN8.1)

3. it was found as com device (GPS Camera on win8.1 and win7)

4. I Have installed the SAM-BA 2.12 and changed it to "AT81 USB To serial"

5. Unplug, restart the computer

6. run the sam-ba tool - it can see the device (on com3 or 4)

7. I selet the chip (ends with 512) and click connect.

==> 8. the SAM-BA window dissapear and nothing happens (I have waited more than an hour)

9.when I try to run SAM-BA again, it says that it finds another instance running.

I have tried to change the COM PORT Baud Rate to 115200 (As recommended in the SAM-BA Docs)

Any suggestions ?

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Hi orenduino,

I have just purchaced a NETDUINO 2. While trying to compile sample software in c#, it said that it needs Firmware 4.2 while I have 4.1xxxx

If you purchased a Netduino 2, it came with 4.2 firmware. I'm guessing that you're using a sample project which is targeting .NET Micro framework 4.1. [Also, the SAM-BA tools are only for the older first-generation Netduinos...for Netduino gen2 they won't even see your board.] To fix this, open up Project Properties and change Target Framework to ".NET Micro Framework 4.2". Then save your project, recompile and run. Does that get you up and running? Welcome to the Netduino community, Chris

#3 orenduino

orenduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

Thank you for your answer.

The current situation is : the device detected as AT91 COM3, but It cannot communicate with SAM-BA

Symptoms: SAM-BA 2.12  Just freeze

SAM-BA 2.10 Says "COMMUNICATION ERROR"

(We will take care the c# compiler once I will succeed to get the Firmware up and running)

I am tending to think that the device is defective, because I have not found any similar problem.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hi orenduino, To confirm...did you buy a Netduino 1 then (with just "Netduino" printed on it), rather than a Netduino 2? If it's showing up as "AT91" when you plug it in, and those drivers weren't manually forced to load, then it's not a gen2 device. Also...if it's showing up as "AT91" then the board is booting properly; we just need to get SAM-BA to behave well on your PC. Chris

#5 orenduino

orenduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hi.

You are right, I have netduino 1 (the label shows just "netduino".

(It has almost the same footprint as netduino 2)

I checked that the label on the chip (AT91SAM7X512) is same as the "Select your board" in SAM-BA

So.. How do I get SAM-BA to talk with my unit ?

Any ideas ?

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hi orenduino, SAM-BA can be grumpy at times. Here's what I recommend... 1. Reboot your PC 2. Plug your Netduino 1 into your PC via USB. Do not connect anything else into your Netduino 3. Open SAM-BA, select the "USB" detected port for your Netduino. 4. Connect to your device. It should connect within ten seconds. Often, SAM-BA will not run a second time unless you reboot your machine first. For gen2 boards we have an awesome "Netduino Update" application--but for the gen1 hardware you will need to use SAM-BA for upgrades. If the above doesn't work, please take a screenshot at step 3 and attach to your post. Thank you, Chris

#7 orenduino

orenduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi.

Attached is a video 5.1Mb (HTML5 WEBM Format) which shows the process of what I did.

Also, I have tried to change the speed and protocol according to documentation.

(The video did not upload due to restricted format .WEBM);

Thanks

#8 orenduino

orenduino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:01 AM   Best Answer

Hi.

Welp.. as a noob, I have made a very stupid mistake, which I feel,, welp, never mind.

By mis-awareness, I have chose the AT91SAM7xe512 instead of AT91SAM7x512.

I found it while watching the video :)

Anyway, it is working now.

I will continue the firmware upgrade according to the instructions.

Sorry & Thank you

Oren

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SAM-BA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.