Automated Urban Garden - Page 2 - Project Showcase - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Automated Urban Garden

Bluetooth Relay Pump Garden Soil Moisture Sensor Float Switch

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

I'm using pretty much the same moisture sensor you are, and it seems to be working alright, though it's not the most sensitive thing. I try to avoid the corroding problem by wiring the VCC pin of the sensor to a digital output, and only turning the sensor on while taking a reading. That seems to help and there isn't too much corrosion on the sensor yet, though if my sensor does go bad I'll have to try your fix!

#22 FourT2

FourT2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

Well done project!

#23 jinzai

jinzai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDavenport, IA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:36 AM

Powering those blade type sensors all the time creates a nice electroplating system, not the intent of most systems! You can extend their life considerably by tinning them, either with solder or that paste used for tinning boards, although the solder will work best -- use the good stuff -- with silver. Great solution switching the power on only when taking a reading.

I like your drip irrigation, however -- I am building a system that uses a flood fill technique and Adafruit sells digital valves! They aren't even very expensive and they are 1/2" diameter. I have a utility pump that I got from Harbor Freight, but -- it is quite beefy, I think it is too much, and I am looking at small bilge (sump) type pumps.

I am going to put the electronics and battery in a cooler and use conduit to bring out the wiring and plumb it using PVC.

Thanks for sharing your project -- it is very cool!

#24 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

I do use a digital output to keep the moisture sensor mostly unpowered, but I like your idea of tinning them with solder.

Your project sounds interesting, and I like the idea of flood fill, be sure to share how that all works once it's up and running!

#25 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley, CA

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

Good day ShVerni, 

I cannot open the google drive you are sharing, it seems that I need to request permission to get access to it.

Anyway, what kind of soil moisture sensor are you using and what kind of pump you are using as well.

I am planning to do a similar project but I wanted to be WiFi, so I can receive alerts if I am away from home

Thanks.

#26 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:29 PM

Hi Giuliano,

I'm sorry you're having trouble accessing the drive, it seems to have public access set up, but who knows what the whims of Google are. Anyway, the moisture sensor I use is this one.

If you need access to any of the code or materials that you can't access in the Google Drive folder, PM me and I'll try to send it to you.

I've also been drooling over the Netduino WiFi, I think it'd make a great addition to the project, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

#27 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hi ShVemi, 

Thanks for your prompt reply, sorry that I didn't reply any sooner. Thanks for the info on the sensor.

What kind of pump are you using?

#28 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Hello,

This is the pump I'm using:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B009X6ADCM/

You'll need a 12V power supply for it, but really, any pump will work as long as it can be plugged in.

#29 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Thank you so much ShVerni.

I am going to order the parts and I need to make some time to put all together. I'll keep you posted.

#30 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 04:26 AM

It's been more than 2 months and I cannot get the time to get this project done, so finally I am going to order the parts. One thing I missed to ask is that if you get PH information as this is going to be important to germinate the fruit plant I am planning to grow, if so, what sensor are you using?

Thank you

#31 ShVerni

ShVerni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

For my simple needs I don't use  pH sensor. I couldn't find a simple pH soil probe, and anyway the solution pH meters are generally pretty expensive. Sorry I can't be more help, but if you do find a soil pH probe, I'd like to hear about it!

#32 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:10 AM

Yes, I was looking at the PH sensors and they are super expensive. I found this one at sparkfun.com:

https://www.sparkfun.../products/12872

Then, I found this 4 in 1 sensor that Sears sells:

http://www.sears.com...a=SPM3567785921

Then, I saw the Parrot Flower Power, really nice implementation but it doesn't have PH information.

http://www.parrot.co...s/flower-power/

Looks pretty good but at the end I would like full control of my sensors, so I am going with the Netduino board and the humidity sensor you have suggested me to start with and I hope to add the sunlight, fertilizer, temperature and the PH sensors at a later time.

I'll keep you posted.

#33 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

Allright, so it's being about 5 months since I got the parts and I was finally able to put it together this past weekend. If I continue this way I might die before I can complete some other project in life :)

Anyway, I am using the code provided by ShVerni which really helped to put this together.

A couple of issues I am experiencing so far already:

1.- The pump waters the plants in a matter for 2 seconds, it has tons of flow that I may need to either regulate its flow by installing some sort of nozzle to the hose for every plant, so it restricts the flow of water or turn on the pump for 1/2 second and then wait a minute for the water to settle down and the do a measure, if still dry, the water more and so on, at this point I don't know what's best.

2.- The Sparkfun Soil Moisture Sensor SEN-13322 (https://www.sparkfun...roducts/13322) that I am using reads about 379 to 387 when the soil is really humid, probably more that I wanted for these plants. It also reads between 372 and 378 when the soil is just a little humid. Additionally, if I removed the sensor from the soil, the reading is between 7 and 9, so with these 3 samples, it is hard for me to put in the code when to water or not, any clues what could be wrong?

I am using this pump from SparkFun:

https://www.sparkfun.../products/10455

#34 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:42 AM

Allright, so it's being about 5 months since I got the parts and I was finally able to put it together this past weekend. If I continue this way I might die before I can complete some other project in life :)

Anyway, I am using the code provided by ShVerni which really helped to put this together.

A couple of issues I am experiencing so far already:

1.- The pump waters the plants in a matter for 2 seconds, it has tons of flow that I may need to either regulate its flow by installing some sort of nozzle to the hose for every plant, so it restricts the flow of water or turn on the pump for 1/2 second and then wait a minute for the water to settle down and the do a measure, if still dry, the water more and so on, at this point I don't know what's best.

2.- The Sparkfun Soil Moisture Sensor SEN-13322 (https://www.sparkfun...roducts/13322) that I am using reads about 379 to 387 when the soil is really humid, probably more that I wanted for these plants. It also reads between 372 and 378 when the soil is just a little humid. Additionally, if I removed the sensor from the soil, the reading is between 7 and 9, so with these 3 samples, it is hard for me to put in the code when to water or not, any clues what could be wrong?

I am using this pump from SparkFun:

https://www.sparkfun.../products/10455

And here are pics of my project:

https://drive.google...Nnc&usp=sharing

Thanks

#35 Giuliano

Giuliano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:33 PM

https://drive.google...Nnc&usp=sharing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bluetooth, Relay, Pump, Garden, Soil Moisture Sensor, Float Switch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.