Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

MF .Net source code licencing question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Karlas

David Karlas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

I'm wondering if this code is under Apache license or is it not:

https://github.com/s...taProcessor.cpp

I'm checking posibility for Xamarin studio plugin...

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hi David, The core .NET Micro Framework is covered by the Apache 2.0 license. There are some components (like lwIP and OpenSSL) which are covered by other non-viral open source licenses. A plugin for Xamarin Studio would be fantastic. If we can assist, let me know. We already do some work with the Xamarin staff; they're cool people. Chris

#3 David Karlas

David Karlas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I will assume this means that folders "Framework/Debugger" and "CLR/Tools/MetaDataProcessor/" are included into Apache 2.0 license...

I got another question... Was any progress made previously on MetaDataProcessor.exe porting to Linux(older forum topics)? Did anyone think about porting it to C#?

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

... MetaDataProcessor.exe ... Did anyone think about porting it to C#?

I guess MetaDataProcessor.exe is written in C++ because it relies on the Parser library, which is also written in C++ and a part of the firmware. To port it to C#, you'd need to port the Parser library too (and possibly all the other C++ dependencies, if there are any), which will make any future development and maintenance more difficult, due to the duplicated functionality in C++ and C# code. Alternatively, you could add thin C++/CLI wrapper for the native libraries and the use it in C# application, but I am not sure C++/CLI is supported on Linux.

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

David -- if MetaDataProcessor and required dependency components were ported to C#, that would be pretty awesome. That would allow developers do all sorts of production automation with NETMF. Chris

#6 David Karlas

David Karlas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'm using Mono.Cecil.dll for parsing full .Net exe file and writing my own output generator for MF .Net "exe".

Issue with MetaDataProcessor.exe is that It would be hard to modify to accept debugInfo.mdb file format which xbuild(mono MSBuild) generates because no mdb c++ parser but Mono.Cecil can handle either debugInfo.pdb(MSBuild) or debugInfo.mdb(XBuild) plus "C# > C++" :D.

#7 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

David--sounds like a fun challenge? :) Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.