Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

SparkFun LCD Backpack

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

I have an LCD (16x2) because I didn't want to give up so many of my precious pins I also purchased the LCD Backpack, However I cannot figure out how to make it work. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

On a slightly side note, are there any super basic tutorials using Serial communications with a Netduino? I think that some super basic/simple tutorials are one of the few important things missing from the community. If they are out then they need to be made easier to find.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#2 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

The backpack requires requires 5V TTL, so with the netduino, you're going to need some form of level-shifting: you could use something as simple as an NPN transistor driven from the TX pin of the netduino.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#3 Hinnie

Hinnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

Fabien Why do you write that level-shifters are required? In the tech specs is written "digital i / o are 3.3 V - 5 V tolerant but" I think that the level-shifters are not needed. Or I read that wrong? Hinnie.

#4 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

Do you have code you can post, or you're not sure even how to start with code? I'm thinking it is going to work fine w/o 5v ttl -- the "5v tolerant" means the netduino can tolerate 5V *input* -- output is going to be 3.3v. Check out the code attached to this post: http://forums.netdui...ch__1#entry5962 ...it's the best I have for serial communication.

#5 GDSever

GDSever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationNewark, DE

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

I haven't had any problems sending 3.3V signals to a 5V serial backpack for LCDs. I've tried out a couple of them (Wolfden.org and one direct from PHAnderson), and both worked just fine without logic level switching.

#6 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

@bill.french I'm not quite sure where to start. I feel like there is quite a lot of the basics regarding the Netduino that I don't know.

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

#7 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

I haven't had any problems sending 3.3V signals to a 5V serial backpack for LCDs. I've tried out a couple of them (Wolfden.org and one direct from PHAnderson), and both worked just fine without logic level switching.

I've had a different experience in the past using Modern Devices' serial backpacks: http://shop.modernde...x4lcd-lcd117kit They would not respond to 3.3v inputs w/o level shifting.

#8 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

UnkwnTech,

I wrote a post showing how to deal with level-shifting, using the 5 volt LCD backpack as an example: http://fabienroyer.w...ith-a-netduino/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

#9 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

UnkwnTech,

I wrote a post showing how to deal with level-shifting, using the 5 volt LCD backpack as an example: http://fabienroyer.w...ith-a-netduino/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
-Fabien.

I saw your post earlier, thanks, I promptly ordered several (25) of the level shifters :).

#10 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

I ordered a 3.3V LCD with SparkFun serial backpack from SKPang. Whilst the backpack was labelled 5V it worked fine - including being powered by 3.3V. I assume it works with wither voltage and you only need to worry what voltage the LCD is expecting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.