Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

SAM-BA hangs when trying to connect for firmware update.

SAM-BA

Best Answer idlegoose007, 08 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

I had not tried version 2.12 since the first attempt. Worked like a charm after that. 2.10 CDC must just not like my system for some reason. I am now able to debug the MINI. Curiously though after a debug I would disconnect power and reapply thinking it should run like the Plus 2. Is there an additional step to get the chip to wake up and run when not debugging?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 idlegoose007

idlegoose007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

After waiting months to have proper equipment recommended from the various posts I am still unable to flash the Netduino Mini (MINI) following the wiki in order to update bootloader for 4.2 http://wiki.netduino...duino-Mini.ashx

StampOnChip

{

AT91SAM7X512

CU

}

RS232 Adapter: Key Span USA-19HS http://www.newegg.co...=16U-0017-00006

SAM-BA Version: 2.7 / 2.12 / 2.10 CDC

Sorry no camera, I will list parts and connections

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8552 & https://www.sparkfun.com/products/429 to connect Key Span to breadboard.

FROM                                             TO

Breakout Board(RX)                        MINI(pin 1 : top left (top is notch) )

Breakout Board(TX)                        MINI(pin 2 : just below pin 1)

Breakout Board(GND)                     MINI(pin 4)

9V +                                                MINI(pin 24: top right)

-                                                MINI(pin 23)

VV-For RESET-VV

MINI (pin 21)                                   MINI(gold colored pad : just to the right of pin 12)

Things I have tried:

{

After using the only COM port (only one connected is the keyspan) under SAM-BA:using connection = COM1, board = at91sam7x512-ek it just hangs. I thought it had exited and tried to run again except the port was not listed. In case something went wrong with config I restarted my system. Tried again and waited 30 minutes. Instead of killing the process I unplugged the USB portion of the keyspan and received the error in the image attached. I have tried all above version of SAM-BA.

I have also tried running SAM-BA with admin(elevated) rights.

I was able to get Echoes using Putty (http://www.putty.org/) when the RX&TX pins were shorted via breadboard.

I thought perhaps I had reversed the RX and TX so I switched them (maybe the breakout board was wrong?) and got a communication error from SAM-BA.

I have scoured the forums and have tried every solution that has worked for the original poster having similar issues (I made sure to have all the equipment that has been suggested before this attempt.)

}

Perhaps a driver? I ordered this MINI 6 months ago and this is the first Time I have had the tools and equipment to hook it up per the suggestions from the WIKI, posts from Chris and others. The LED of the keyspan does blink while SAM-BA is hanging although Task Manager does not show an increase in any resource or action(memory, i/o, etc...). 

I have checked the connection from topside of chip to breakout board with Fluke 179 (http://en-us.fluke.c...bid=qc0nQZPj2Bk) and have not found any loose connections or shorts.

Sincerely,

idlegoose007

P.S. I just hit F5 when I wanted to post this.

Attached Files

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi idlegoose007, Thank you for the thorough post :) First of all, can you please try "erasing" your Netduino Mini one more time? If it's not fully erased, the bootloader won't be there for SAM-BA to connect to. [Connect the +5V pin to the ERASE pad for around a second...making sure that the Netduino Mini is powered first.] Then unpower and repower the Mini, reboot your computer, and try to connect one more time. I've watched that green LED on the Keyspan adapter quite a few times. If you get just a few sporadic flashes then it's not talking to the bootloader; if you get a constant and rapid set of activity the entire time until SAM-BA opens up, then they're talking. They chatter quite a bit. BTW, if SAM-BA does not open within about 30 seconds then it's not going to open. Waiting longer will just frustrate you :) Finally..what pins #s do you have connected from the FTDI cable's DB9 connector to your Netduino Mini? It's easy to wire up to the wrong ones, so I double-check there first. Chris

#3 idlegoose007

idlegoose007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:20 PM   Best Answer

I had not tried version 2.12 since the first attempt. Worked like a charm after that. 2.10 CDC must just not like my system for some reason. I am now able to debug the MINI. Curiously though after a debug I would disconnect power and reapply thinking it should run like the Plus 2. Is there an additional step to get the chip to wake up and run when not debugging?

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Hi idlegoose007, If you reboot your board after you've stopped your debugging session, it should start up your Netduino app. If you experience any troubles with that, put some Debug.Print statements in your code and then capture the boot process using MFDeploy: F5 to connect to device; press the button on your Netduino to reset it; finally press PING in MFDeploy to see the debug output stream. I'm glad that SAM-BA 2.12 is working for you now. Whew :) Chris

#5 idlegoose007

idlegoose007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Not sure what is happening.

this is the output after I stop debugging with VS and connect with MFDeploy.

Pinging... TinyCLR
ABOVE 30 DB COUNT: 3  //This is debug stuff that is in the main loop
ABOVE 30 DB COUNT: 3
ABOVE 30 DB COUNT: 2
*Here I unplug the power and waited ~10 seconds and reconnected. Immediately printed was the following

TinyBooter v4.2.0.0
NetduinoMini Build Date: Sep 19 2012 19:39:48
ARM Compiler version 410894

*Nothing follows
These lines repeat as many times that I power cycle the MINI.

my first line in Main() is

Debug.Print("Starting");

I have tried shorting reset(pin 22) to GND and it does not reset.

I am using RS232 for deploying with VS. I am wary of using TTL to deploy as I am using UART COM1(pins 11&12)

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:45 AM

Hi idlegoose007, Thanks for dropping into chat tonight. Please let me know the results of the follow-up tests with the 4.1 firmware. Chris

#7 idlegoose007

idlegoose007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Chris,

4.1 worked without a hitch. Hopefully this will narrow down the issue. I would really like to use 4.2 for the added support of StringBuilder, Math functions, and some other things that are not in the 4.1. Is it possible the TinyBooter for 4.2 is incorrect and not allowing it to jump into TinyCLR/App? Thanks again for your help.

-Troy

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:29 AM

Hi idlegoose007, I'm really glad that 4.1 is working well for you. It sounds like something in 4.2 isn't liking your Netduino Mini's setup. In theory the transition from TinyBooter to TinyCLR is pretty straightforward. We can put this in the queue and take a look sometime--although if we can't get hardware to reproduce the issue I'm not sure we will be able to help much :( For StringBuilder...will this work for you? http://forums.netdui...gbuilder-class/ Due to the way that NETMF 4.2 QFE2 handles the reset functionality on Netduino gen1, we generally recommend that Netduino Mini users stick with NETMF 4.1 unless they need to upgrade. Chris

#9 idlegoose007

idlegoose007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

That string builder works with some modification, also missing Encoding...GetChars overloads, anything.ToString("x") - really miss this one, and that's only page 1 of 60+. I had originally written the App for N+2 and converted it to Mini with no issues besides the reset. Are there plans for 4.3 support? (although I think this requires VS 2012)

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

idlegoose007 -- first focus with NETMF 4.3 is Netduino 2 and Netduino Plus 2, followed by Netduino 1 and Netduino Plus 1. Not sure about Netduino Mini yet. We'll also have NETMF 4.3 firmware for Netduino Go--but that will have its own release track. New things in store. Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SAM-BA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.