Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

74HC165 Voltage

Volatge bitshift SPI 74hc165 hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm using the .net micro framework toolbox to multiplex a bunch of inputs. Can some one tell me if the input voltage of a line into a 74HC165 can go above the vcc or reference. For example. Will either of the following 2 examples work.

Or will I get "Great Balls of Fire!"

A.

B.

Thanks in advance!

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

The NXP datasheet says maximum input voltage is VCC, so in your case 3.3V.

The absolute maximum voltage for 74HC series is VCC = 7V; recommended operation conditions max 6V. It will probably not burn under 12V, the inputs are (most likely) protected with clamping diodes, but I don't see any reason to feed inputs with such high voltage, when there is already 3.3V supply...

#3 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

It is a strange idea isn't it. I need to tap into and monitor a large group of cables that are moving rams. The entire system runs on 12 and 24 volts. I'm thinking I'm going to end up isolating the inputs with opto's to be on the safe side. But I was trying to avoid it seeing as I've already got the spi and power isolated using a RF digital isolator. adding the opto's seems like a double isolation waste.

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Ok, if you don't want to use isolator, then you could probably use simple resistor voltage divider, VIN = 12 V, R1 = 10 k?, R2 = 3.9 k? -> VOUT = 3.367 V.

#5 stotech

stotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

Thanks. Still pondering all the options.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Volatge, bitshift, SPI, 74hc165, hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.