Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

A few issues with NP2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hi to all! This is my first post on this forum :D

I have a few issues with my NP2 (fw 4.3 beta 1), first of all... often I get the "Unable to communicate with USB:Netduino" error, which I can only solve by reflashing the firmware... any clues?

(by the way, is source for v4.3 beta available? I'm having troubles recompiling 4.2.2.2)

The second problem is with storage: I have to store 32 bytes of data on chip, and I read you can't use ExtendedWeakReference... is it true?

Third: is there a way to use unsafe code? I read on the forum that you actually can, but everytime I try to use it, netduino just hangs and I have to reflash the firmware :

Fourth: every STM32F40 has a 96 bit unique ID, is it exposed somewhere?

The last 3 problems can be solved by compiling my own custom firmware, but I don't really want to install VS 2010, so I should just wait for v4.3 to come out and work on that firmware :

Sorry for the long post :D

Edited by Kip, 03 December 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#2 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

I managed to compile the firmware, but it's too old...

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hi Kip, No ExtendedWeakReferences. There are some limitations to it which impact garbage collection--and Netduino Plus boards have MicroSD support--so we left out this legacy feature in return for a better user experience. BTW, you can use VS2012 and the Netduino 4.3 SDK with older boards. Just change the "target framework" in project properties to NETMF 4.1/4.2. One warning though: the NETMF 4.3 SDK has some timing bugs which can make debugging slow on older boards. Other than that, though, it works pretty well. Chris

#4 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

I'll probably have to scale down to a Netduino 2, so microSD isn't an option right now... Maybe I'll try to bake something in with interop, I only have to write just a few bytes and I rather store them on chip.

What do you mean for "older boards"? "boards with 4.1/4.2 on it" or "boards that were born on 4.1/4.2 even if they've been upgraded to 4.3"?

Thanks for your help :)

#5 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi Kip, The debug channel timing changed between 4.2 and 4.3, to improve the Visual Studio experience. But single-stepping code on 4.2 boards--using the 4.3 SDK--can be sluggish. It's not a dealbreaker, but it is a known issue. Chris

#6 Kip

Kip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok, I just wasn't sure what was defined as "older boards" ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.