Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

FreeRTOS and C++ with NXP chips

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave_fr

Dave_fr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

Some users may erase their Netduinos completely to use them as low-cost ARM development boards or to otherwise tinker. In this case, it will necessary to redeploy the TinyBooter bootloader before redeploying the Netduino firmware.

To use the new "USB and serial - deployment selection" feature, you'll need to erase your Netduino and reflash the bootloader as well.

The TinyBooter booloader (v4.1.0.5) is attached to this post for your convenience.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum.

I got a FEZ mini which I probably should not have gotten considering .net framework, apart from its multithreading capabilities, it doesn't fit the kind of projects I want to do. I still like the very compact design of the PCB and would like to program it using native code, namely C++ in conjuction with the Free RTOS.

Questions :

1) Is it possible to flash the FEZ mini the same way as the netduino ?
2) What bootloader to install ?
3) Would I be able to use Eclispe + GNU toolchain to compile and upload directly (USB only) ?
4) Would the absence of JTAG connector be a problem (absence of debugging) ?
5) Is there a sufficient amount of libraries to carry out a C++ project on ARM7 without going through to much desperation ?

#2 Illishar

Illishar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

Questions regarding FEZ might be better directed at ... the FEZ community. But here we go: 1) Yes, but FEZ doesn't use the Atmel SAM-BA tool. The FEZ ebook will guide you through another tool. 2) No one. (Or whatever that comes with the Free RTOS) 3) Replace the USB with RS232 and the answer is yes. 4) In theory yes. JTAG's can be difficult to use however. Especially with open source. 5) More than plenty libs for ARM. Much desperation is still expected though. Your FEZ Mini is using NXP btw. Which gives this driver package: http://www.standardi...4xx.uvision.zip Still I'd recommend a real ARM development board for your first attempt.

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Hi Dave_fr, Welcome to the Netduino community! I'd recommend picking up an Atmel AT91SAM7X-EK devboard and the IAR J-Link for the type of raw C++/FreeRTOS development you're looking at... You might also think about picking up a Netduino Mini (which is tiny...about a third of the size of the module you mentioned) for use post-development... Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.