Insteon Project - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Insteon Project

Home Automation Insteon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Weaver

David Weaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBloomington IL

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I am considering porting a project I wrote seven years ago for my home.  I installed 45 Insteon light switches in my new home. Insteon had an ActiveX exe that I thought would make it easy to write a small web site to control all the lights in my home. The ActiveX would fail after day or so. I decided to write my own Visual Studio 2005 Visual Basic DLL that could control that lights and Springer system in my home using the USB HID. The website is on a XP computer that uses the USB port to communicate with the PLC http://www.smarthome...ecs&mbpage=prod

I would propose an open source projectt on the forum web site. If there is any interest I am willing to post my source I used in my project that has worked well for 7 years.

The project would be biased on the Netduino + 2 with a web server and pop client. The pop client would be used as a portal to IFTTT https://ifttt.com/channels to allow advanced communication with the Netduino + 2.  In addition the POP client would facilitate the ability to speak to the Insteon products. Example: We have an email address named “Edison” on a smart phone. I say: Siri email “Edison” subject kitchen spotlights on.

The POP client would be used to parse the emails subject text and turn on the kitchen spotlights. Chris’s new watch could really bring some interesting ideas to the project.

The Netduino USB port would be used to connect to the PLC USB port.

Is it possible to deploy using the USB port and then use the port to communicate with the PLC. Example: The code is flashed and the communication using USB port is started by a web page at a later time?

Would it be possible to debug the HID serial communications using the emulator?

If it sounds feasible to port the code one of the trickiest areas is the CRC check because the functions I used are not available in VS 2012 VB or C#.

I would propose the project be developed in both VB and C#.

Please let me know your thoughts.

#2 Christoc

Christoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBallwin, MO

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

I wish the house I was in had the wiring to support Insteon.... 

View my blog at ChrisHammond.com

Projects: Netduino Tank/Tracked Vehicle, DNNFoos, Random other bits

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Home Automation, Insteon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.