Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

BUILD 2013

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

For developers at Microsoft BUILD this week in San Francisco...

Please come say hello; I'd love to meet you!

We're in Moscone North on the bottom floor, on the opposite side of the room from the Hackathon.

We built an app for Windows 8.1 (and Windows RT 8.1) using the new Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) WinRT proximity APIs.  Of course it's using a Netduino Plus 2. :)

Chris

#2 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Chris, for me (Netherlands) it is too far swimming. :D  else I'd love to be there.

#3 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

We built an app for Windows 8.1 (and Windows RT 8.1) using the new Bluetooth Smart (Low Energy) WinRT proximity APIs.

Chris, I'm very interested in BLE and have a few questions about your setup:

1. What shield/module/device have you hooked up to your NP2?

2. Is your Win8 machine equipped with built-in BLE or are you using a dongle, if so what dongle is that?

3. Do you know if the BLE APIs are available for other Windows versions than Win8?

Thanks!

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi Hanzibal, I was using a BLE shield built by Seeed Studio. I was actually running the demos from a Surface RT (which has Bluetooth LE--even though it wasn't advertised in its specs). I also tested them on a Windows 8.1 laptop. There are some really inexpensive Bluetooth 4.0 (+ LE) USB dongles that should work great. 3. The Bluetooth Low Energy APIs are brand new in Windows 8.1. You'll also be seeing them on the AGENT Smartwatch :) Chris

#5 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Ah yes, I've seen that shield. As you probably know, TI just released their CC2541 based BLE SensorTag - would it be possible to interface that using the Seed Studio BLE shield, one of those inexpensive dongles and (since you mentioned it) the Agent respectively?

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hi hanzibal, That BLE shield is really designed to interact with an iPhone 4S+ or other BLE-enabled phone/computer. It has fixed-size buffers, custom end-points, etc. and basically emulates a serial port of sorts. On Bluetooth LE tags: yes, you should be able to interact with those types of tags using AGENT. We're exposing the new WinRT Proximity APIs so you just need the GATT characteristic UUIDs, etc. and you'll be off and running. Chris

#7 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yes, almost all BLE stuff I've seen is about talking to an iPhone but that does not really interest me plus I think wifi is better for that. I think the Agent and TI SensorTag combo would be much more interesting. Anyway, do you think one of these cheap BT 4.0 actually supports BLE and that it is able to talk to the Agent and/or the TI SensorTag over BLE? http://www.ebay.com/...=item3f1d09ffab Then of course, there's the API thing on a non-BLE equipped PC, I suppose that would be a show-stopper on Win XP.

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hi hanzibal, Here's the BT 4.0 BR/EDR+LE USB dongle we're currently using: http://www.amazon.co...AT0/ref=sr_1_8? I'd recommend using Windows 8.1 preview (which is currently free) with it, if you have an extra development PC. Chris

#9 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ok, thanks!

#10 Juzzer

Juzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire, UK

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi Chris,

Are you able to share you test app?

Cheers

Justin 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.