Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Solid Graphic LCD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

I am trying to find a good quality graphic LCD for use with the Netduino. I found this one but it seems over the top: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10090 Here are my qualifications: * Fast response time - I don't want to see pixels fading in and out on a change. * Not ordinary looking - Really can't stand the black on green/black on gray look... * Not a pin hog - Enough said. * Mostly bug-free - A lot of the serial enabled graphic LCDs on SparkFun have a lot of comments complaining about glitches in the serial backpack code. So prefer a mature implementation. I value form/function over cost so I am willing to pay a premium for quality. Anyone have experience with something that fits the bill?

#2 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

Well, I don't know, but that LCD you linked is pretty amazing! From the comments:

So let me get this straight. This thing is a color LCD with built in controller, backlight circuitry, microSD socket which is compatible with both low capacity and high capacity cards, AND! it basically has a user programmable microcontroller with 10k of program space and 2 GPIO lines in addition to all the on-board control lines for interfacing with the LCD?

#3 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

I am trying to find a good quality graphic LCD for use with the Netduino.

I found this one but it seems over the top:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10090

Here are my qualifications:

* Fast response time - I don't want to see pixels fading in and out on a change.
* Not ordinary looking - Really can't stand the black on green/black on gray look...
* Not a pin hog - Enough said.
* Mostly bug-free - A lot of the serial enabled graphic LCDs on SparkFun have a lot of comments complaining about glitches in the serial backpack code. So prefer a mature implementation.

I value form/function over cost so I am willing to pay a premium for quality. Anyone have experience with something that fits the bill?

I am working with someone on getting another LCD from sparkfun working, if we get it to work I'll let you know.

#4 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Thanks! Let me know. In the mean time I'm ordering the one I linked to above... I'll let you know how it turns out!

#5 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Well, I don't know, but that LCD you linked is pretty amazing! From the comments:

This definately looks interesting! Did you notice that they list Dallis 1-Wire support as well?

#6 Charles

Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

My concern with the unit is that it appears to basically be a custom microcontroller connected to an LCD - requiring its own programming. So what I anticipate having to do is write the graphical components of my interface into the LCD's controller and programmatically implement an interconnect between it and the Netduino such that the Netduino can do the work of the project and the LCD controller displays status information as the Netduino specifies.

#7 Ryan Mick

Ryan Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:27 PM

Charles, any luck with this screen yet? I am very interested to hear your progress.

#8 phantomtypist

phantomtypist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Somebody made a library for Arduino's. Their library interfaces with:
  • uOLED-96
  • uOLED-128
  • uOLED-160
  • uLCD-144

You might be able to just port this code to NETMF.

Link to Arduino library for 4D Systems displays

EDIT: I just noticed that the Arduino library will only work for displays that have the GOLDELOX-SGC model processor. The unit at SparkFun has a newer (apparently better) processor called the GOLDELOX-GFX. Look for the comparison in the description section on this link.

#9 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

2 things -- I believe your can "reflash" the SGC to GFX and vice-versa, based on this reply from 4D's support:

Certainly you can change the configuration from SGC to GFX and vice versa. See the links below with individual configurations,

Also, another screen to consider if anyone stumbles across this thread:
http://www.dfrobot.c...&product_id=135

#10 Omar (OZ)

Omar (OZ)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Thanks! Let me know.

In the mean time I'm ordering the one I linked to above... I'll let you know how it turns out!

Alfred figured out what was wrong! Go here: http://forums.netdui...x2s-are-boring/ there is a link to the sparkfun page for that lcd, and the code is all over that post, check the 2nd to fourth pages... I hope that helps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.