Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Interfacing with a USB Flash drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

Is there anyway with my Netduino (and the mini) that I could write data to a USB flash drive. I've got plans for a project, but I would rather write to a flash drive than to (u)SD. If it is possible what sort of hardware would I need?

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hi UnkwnTech, You'd need a USB host adapter which used SPI/UART/I2C and you'd need to write a driver. Maybe a native code driver. Chris

#3 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi UnkwnTech,

You'd need a USB host adapter which used SPI/UART/I2C and you'd need to write a driver. Maybe a native code driver.

Chris

Ahhhhhh native code!!!

In all seriousness I've posted 2 questions today (both of which you've answered) do you think it'd be easier to impliment this or is there a simpler way to store large amounts of data. I'm working on a project which requires being able to write !< 16GB to disk? I'm looking to use either 16 or 32 GB SD or Flash drives.

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:30 AM

Ahhhhhh native code!!!

In all seriousness I've posted 2 questions today (both of which you've answered) do you think it'd be easier to impliment this or is there a simpler way to store large amounts of data. I'm working on a project which requires being able to write !< 16GB to disk? I'm looking to use either 16 or 32 GB SD or Flash drives.

Hi UnkwnTech,

A few options:
1. Cloud storage
2. Combo PC + Netduino application
3. Use of multiple SD cards
4. One of the non-open-source .NET MF boards might have limited support for this (i.e. commercial SD license).

Chris

#5 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

Hi UnkwnTech,

A few options:
1. Cloud storage
2. Combo PC + Netduino application
3. Use of multiple SD cards
4. One of the non-open-source .NET MF boards might have limited support for this (i.e. commercial SD license).

Chris

I'd love to do option 1, but that would require a GSM/CDMA shield, this is an "in-the-feld" project (also leaving out option 2). #3 would be intriguing, however I'm not sure that there are enough pins on the Netduino to do 16GB+. So that seems to leave me with option 4. Time to start doing some research.

#6 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

what kind of data are you storing? what kind of time period are you dealing with? Maybe a compression algorithm? Something like this and a ND+ could get you to 8GB? http://www.addonics....s/nas/nasu2.asp

#7 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

what kind of data are you storing? what kind of time period are you dealing with? Maybe a compression algorithm?

Something like this and a ND+ could get you to 8GB?

http://www.addonics....s/nas/nasu2.asp

That is an interesting option, one that I hadn't considered.

#8 bill.french

bill.french

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

here's another interesting unit on Amazon, with a 2TB limit:

http://www.amazon.co...3210173&sr=1-16

I'm thinking you could stage a file on the local SD card, then FTP it to the nas device on a background thread.

Posted Image

#9 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

I'm thinking you could stage a file on the local SD card, then FTP it to the nas device on a background thread.

Posted Image

That is also an interesting option. So much so that I just ordered one.

#10 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

Posted Image

I see this device is $35.99, for $4 more you could geat a wireless router that supports 2 USB drives. See: http://www.newegg.co...ASUS-_-33320030, an ASUS WL-500GP V2 802.11b/g Multi-Functional Wireless Router with x2 USB Plug-NShare hard drive function and Print Server Function $39.99 after rebate.

I have never used either of these devices so I can not say which would work better.

#11 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

I see this device is $35.99, for $4 more you could geat a wireless router that supports 2 USB drives. See: http://www.newegg.co...ASUS-_-33320030, an ASUS WL-500GP V2 802.11b/g Multi-Functional Wireless Router with x2 USB Plug-NShare hard drive function and Print Server Function $39.99 after rebate.

I have never used either of these devices so I can not say which would work better.

I had considered that however the application for this is to be "in-the-field" and battery powered, I don't want anything larger than absolute must, and no more features than I can get away with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.