Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

RIP

shortcut dead

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sophotec

sophotec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

While working on my gate controlling board I've shortcutted a 24v DC line (used as relays power supply) with the netduino 3v3 output...

the board seems completely dead...

Any suggestion to resuscitate it ?

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Sorry to hear that. No LEDs, nothing going on at all?

#3 sophotec

sophotec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Nope... no led, none both connecting usb or power supply.

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

The 3V3 output you said, it might be possible to save the board by replacing the on-board 3V3 regulator.

It could be only that broke due to reverse current which hopefully went directly from there to ground.

What happened to the 24V supply?

#5 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

The 3V3 regulator is the one called U2 in the schematics:

Attached File  3V3.png   16.85KB   12 downloads

It seems to be one of these:

http://www.digikey.c...06-2-ND/1852382

I'm at work and can't open the board layout files but according to a few high res pictures, it seems to be this one:

Attached File  U2.jpg   71.4KB   15 downloads

Take a close look on your board, do you see any evidence of fire on/around the 3V3 regulator - is it deformed or look "sweaty" ?

#6 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

its worth a try, but i think the duino is dead, i mean, if hed connected it on the input side, the reg would die, but he put it on the

output side wich is also connected to netduino

#7 sophotec

sophotec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

At first look the board seems immaculate... no evidence of fire.

However the board seems not completely died since after a few time I connect it to the USB it became warm, I've checked voltage between terminals of the power led and it says 1.17v, even if the led seems off.

Various tests on the 3v3 regulator gives a voltage of 1.28v at the input pin and 0v at the output, using a the shortcut beeper on my tester, it beeps when i test both Vo/GND and Vin/GND

TIA for your help.

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

sophotec, If you're adventurous, you could probably replace a dozen parts on your board and bring it back to life--including some tiny ones. But there's a good chance that both the power circuitry and microcontroller were damaged by the accidental hookup to high voltage. Can we have a moment of silence for our fallen friend? Chris

#9 sophotec

sophotec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                 _____  _____[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                <     `/     |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                 >          ([/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |   _     _  |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |  |_) | |_) |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |  | | |   |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |            |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                 ______.______%_|            |__________  _____[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]               _/                                       |     |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]              |               N E T D U I N O + 2              <[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]              |_____.-._________              ____/|___________|[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                | *          |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                | + 02/05/13 |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |            |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |   _        <[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                |__/         |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                                 / `--.      |[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                               %|            |%[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                           |/.%%|          -< @%%%[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                           `%`@|     v      |@@%@%%    [/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                         .%%%@@@|%    |    % @@@%%@%%%%[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]                    _.%%%%%%@@@@@@%%_/%_%@@%%@@@@@@@%%%%%%[/font]

#10 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

...and there was not a dry eye in sight ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.