Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Multiplexing analog inputs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyb

johnnyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHobart, Australia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hi All,

I have an idea for a widget that will output multiple (maybe 8 or so to start with, but ultimately I'd like to have 32 or 64) analog signals. Each signal will need to be resolved into about 10 steps. Can anyone point me in the right direction for something that I can use to multiplex the analog signals (i.e., parallel to serial) so that I can then process the serial signal in my netduino. Is there a chip that can multiplex anolog signals?

Thanks.

John.

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

while multiplexing analog singlas is possible, id suggest just using one (or more) external adc ic's.

iam using a mcp3201 (single channel) but there are also ones with more channs. like mcp3208.

maybe even 16, idk. they are 12 bit and spi, also quite cheap. 16 bit and up get really expensive.

#3 johnnyb

johnnyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHobart, Australia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

while multiplexing analog singlas is possible, id suggest just using one (or more) external adc ic's.

iam using a mcp3201 (single channel) but there are also ones with more channs. like mcp3208.

maybe even 16, idk. they are 12 bit and spi, also quite cheap. 16 bit and up get really expensive.

You're right, using an external ADC is probably a much better idea. I'll investigate that chip, thanks. I already can see this project is going to take much more time than I originally thought :o

John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.