Is it possible to connect multiple mainboards together in a star network topology? - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Is it possible to connect multiple mainboards together in a star network topology?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TheChicagoWay

TheChicagoWay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

Asking if this is possible with any of the Netduino boards (Netduino, Netduino 2, Netduino Go). Let me explain further. I would like to connect 8 mainboards to a 9th board that is the main controller.  The main controller is also
connected to a laptop. Commands are issued from the laptop to the main controller which then sends another command to one of the child boards.  Basically I am hoping to have the child boards essentially be addressable.  Each child board then has power relays connected to all of their remaining ports, if this was Netduino Go then each of the 8 child boards would have 7 gobus ports left that power relays could be connected to for potentially up to 224 output ports. The idea is basically to use this for powering/controllerdifferent sections of Christmas lights or even firework displays.

I am a newbie to Netduino, haven’t even purchased anything as I am still in the exploratory phase. If anyone can confirm that what I would like to do is possible please let me know, or if there is another way to do what I would like to accomplish please also let me know that.

#2 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:13 AM

yes this is possible.

you can do this over ethernet or use wireless nodes (but they have to be in a tree like arrangement to work well) with nrf24l01+

if you just need output ports, you can use 74hc595 - they are very good for that, you can chain them up to quite a lot of outputs.

its also way way cheaper than multiple netduinos.

#3 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

What are you looking for is the typical industrial (small) system/topology.

I suggest to use Modbus as protocol, which is very simple to use, and allows to address 100+ slave devices over UART, TCP and/or UDP carrier.

Have a look at this library, and you'll be able to test a small demo in half an hour.

http://cetdevelop.codeplex.com/

Cheers

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.