Hydra Power Supply on Kickstarter - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Hydra Power Supply on Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Christoc

Christoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBallwin, MO

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Anyone purchase this year?

http://www.kickstart...for-electronics

Not sure if the price point makes sense for hobby projects, but looks interesting

View my blog at ChrisHammond.com

Projects: Netduino Tank/Tracked Vehicle, DNNFoos, Random other bits

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

I really thought about getting on board especially now for just $169 to support it and get one.  Once it goes retail for $200 not sure I would get one.  But then I talked my self out of the $169 contribution.

It's a pretty cool concept.

#3 Christoc

Christoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBallwin, MO

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Fortunately (or unfortunately) you've got 29 days to talk yourself into it again :D

I haven't quite decided myself yet

View my blog at ChrisHammond.com

Projects: Netduino Tank/Tracked Vehicle, DNNFoos, Random other bits

#4 Gutworks

Gutworks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

It does look interesting. I wish they provided more data such as oscilloscope graphs of the output. I wonder how clean the power output truly is?  Also the Bluetooth option just looks like a standard serial Bluetooth module with black tape over it. I recently purchased one for under $8 on ebay and works quite well with my Netduinos. Thanks to RogueMatt's code I can now control my Netduino Go via Bluetooth and a Lumia 920 :)

Steve

#5 NooM

NooM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

in my opinion that would be a total waste of money.

its design is simple: a small chip for bluetooth and settings .. than maybe a step up converter-

than 3 step down converters with digital mpotentiometers (so you can control the output voltage per software)

its like a arduino chip with step up and step down converters... total cost: 20€

edit: http://imageshack.us...me214092012.png

simple version of it ... add another step up to 24v .. another step down.. replace the blue

pots with digi-pots, add a small chip.. done :P

#6 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

NooM is maybe too naughty saying that's "a waste of money", but I'm with him because the very high price compared to the features.

First off, it's a switching-mode PSU, which is fine for engineered devices, but not for hobby projects. I mean that you should add extra filtering (i.e. capacitors, coils, etc) to reduce the generated noise.

Secondly, they write about a very bad "40mV @ 200mA" ripple, which is very high! Please, bear in mind that if you wire the PSU to your circuit with one meter long cable, that will be a perfect antenna! So, what about the ripple on loads of above 1 A?

Thirdly, what is the sense of regulating as less as 10mV (0.01V), when the ripple (=noise) is at least 4x higher?

By other way, I really like the aluminum case, instead the ordinary plastic one.

IMHO, the picture in the page showing the Hydra and a classic bench PSU says all.

Cheers

Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#7 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

IMHO, the picture in the page showing the Hydra and a classic bench PSU says all.

It's rather interesting device, but IMHO comparison to a linear power supply is mostly to demonstrate the size difference  ;) HY3003D-3 is dual adjustable 0 - 30V, 0 - 3A, with ripple noise <= 0.5 mV RMS...

One feature I would like to have on such portable power supply is some control mechanism to adjust/switch the voltage and current without the need of computer, phone etc. and indicator LEDs - well, this is actually second feature, but I really like LEDs  :P

#8 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think it's wrong to compare a switching mode PSU with a non-switching like the one they put next to the Hydra in the pictures. Both types has their own advantages and disadvantages. There are also hybrids bringing together the best of two worlds.

I recently got this one:
http://www.conrad.co...ench-1-36V-0-5A

It's a programmable (USB, electrical and 3 presets) MCU controlled low ripple 180W switching mode PSU with 1- 36V 0 - 5A priced at some 200 USD and has all the stuff Mario mentioned in caps, transformers etc.

Of course, it's not as small as the Hydra but much smaller and lighter than any non-switching type benchtop model.

EDIT: The HY3003D-3 that CW2 linked to is on sale at 170 USD which to me, seems like a really good deal.

#9 calebc

calebc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hey guys.

The Hydra is my project.  Thanks for your feedback!

The noise characteristic that was listed on the Kickstarter page was a worst-case estimate, but I recently collected some actual data.  There is a summary and screenshots here: http://www.kickstart...cs/posts/415773

It's still not as good as a nice benchtop supply, but you pay a price for not being able to throw gigantic capacitors on it. :-)

I didn't mean to suggest that the Hydra is a viable replacement for a nice lab supply in all cases.  Mostly the Hydra addresses a niche for a good adjustable supply that you can use in places other than your bench.  The cost is higher than it might have been because the buck-boost architecture cost a little more in parts.  If it were a little less flexible (say, only buck or only boost) we could have done it for a lot cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.