Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Airplay?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tsaG

tsaG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hi! Is the netduino 2 pro capable to be used as an Apple airplay Server? Has anyone done this before? I already Set up a raspberry for the Job but its an Overkill for this task. My Dream would be an mikrocontroller airplay device with spdif out. Possible? Regards

#2 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I've been looking to make something similar to what you want.

I may sound negative now, but I strongly doubt a N2+ is right for the job. I guess it could cope with the incoming network stream, but to decode MPEG (or whatevever format it is) and possibly converting that to PCM sending it through S/P-DIF...I don't think so.

Naturally, I think you could do it with the help of some external hardware for audio decoding and an audio transmitter. Depending on what encoding Airplay uses for audio and if you can extract it using the N2+, the VS1053B might work for decoding the compressed audio (it can decode Flac among many other formats) and can also output I2S. You would then need a transmitter like the DIT4096 or the DIT4192 to convert the I2S to PCM using an RS422 linedriver and audio transformer for S/P-DIF output or you can use a Toslink transmitter directly from the DIT4096 for optical output.

Hope this helps!

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

Although I really like .NET MF boards, why would you want to replace Raspberry Pi with less powerful board that costs twice as much? Also, .NET MF is not really designed for any real-time tasks such as audio processing or streaming...

#4 hanzibal

hanzibal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

For the sport of it?

#5 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm of the same mindset... Love the Netduino, but if the Pi is suited for the job and is a great price factor stick with the Pi.

#6 TimTWalker

TimTWalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The reason I was thinking about Netduino for Airplay is because the PI, out of the box, has a rw filesystem plus microSD.  Both of these are known to lead to corruption due to a unplanned power loss. I want my PI-Shairplay system that drives some outdoor speakers to be more appliance-like.  That's where a real embedded system would be better.

Right now I have the PI running from a USB flash drive, with the root filesystem read only, but still boots from SD.

Shairplay is all C & Perl - could be migrated to C#.  Maybe I just need to do some more reading on embedding Linux, 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.