Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

ASP MVC4 and IIS Express Server

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Kowalczyk

Dan Kowalczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Does anyone have experience using ASP MVC4 to create REST services for the Netduino? In particular, has anyone been able to host a website or service on your local network with IIS Express? I want to host a service locally for development purposes and I can't even connect to the website I created from another computer on my wireless network. I have followed many many walk-throughs on this issue but none have turned out successful on my machine i.e. if you send me links I've probably already tried them. Any help would be great, but I'm a novice at network programming, so please be gentle on me :).
If you want a treat and don't mind the treatment...

#2 Mike L

Mike L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

IIS Express doesn't allow external connections by default. I am assuming you have tried the following link: http://stackoverflow...xternal-request Although I haven't done this yet, I would think using Web API instead of MVC might be a little easier to build simple services the netduino can access. You then can host the API outside of IIS all together (like in a Console or Windows Service).

#3 Dan Kowalczyk

Dan Kowalczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I finally was able to get this to work tonight thanks to the help of this blog post: http://sashageekette...mobile-devices/ I tried to use my machine name, but it didn't work. Then, after reading through the comments, I tried using my IP address and it worked. This is a big relief.
If you want a treat and don't mind the treatment...

#4 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

http://www.hanselman...IISExpress.aspx You have to jump through some hoops to get iis express to serve on port 80, (and 443) but its quite easy once done, also look out for things like skype or WebDeployment service locking port 80 and preventing other services from registering against it. As for MVC4 based REST web services have made a few for commercial projects. just keep the responses as terse as possible to conserve resources on the ND.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.