Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

microSD card issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GeBrander

GeBrander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

I have a 2GB microSD card that does not work in the Netduino Plus, but is working fine connected to my pc. So I was wondering: What type of filesystem is supported on the Netduino Plus. FAT or FAT32 or else? Will larger (in GB's) cards be supported soon?

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

FAT and nothing above 2GB. Some 2GB cards do not work either. What make/model of SD card is it?

#3 JWills

JWills

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

Mite be a little late on this. You can also downgrade an sd card to a lower gig by repartitioning it. Since I found it almost impossible to find a micro sd <= to 2 gig. I bought a 4 gig used windows disk part utility and dropped it to a 1.5 gig. Its a wasted of space but there cheep. I know it worked on the netduino plus. I just got my plus 2 and I dont see why it will not work on that.

here is a link on using DISKPART.

DiskPart

#4 Wicky

Wicky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

Having gone to the listed link on partitioning flashes and there being a ton of mistakes on using DISKPART, I think a paraphrasing with the corrections might be worth a posting.

• Insert SD Flash
  • Either run from Start|Run or from a commandline, diskpart.exe
  • At the prompt, type, list disk
  • Determine which listed disk is your SD flash and type, select disk X, where X is the number of the disk in the list
  • Next, type, list partition
  • From the list of partitions, type, select partition X, where X is the partition you wish to delete
  • Once selected, type, delete, and the partition will be deleted
  • Next type, create partition primary size=X where X is in MB's (ie 1500 for 1.5GB)
  • Then Type, select partition 1 (or which ever the new partitions number is)
  • Lastly, format the flash by typing, format FS=FAT label="YourLabel"
  • Type, exit, your done

The format will take a bit longer then usual, so be patient.

Remember, partitioning and formatting will wipe out anything already on the flash, so please proceed carefully and backup your data before targetting the flash with the "select disk" command. Be sure you have selected the right drive... it would not be good if you selected the wrong device and proceeded to remove partitions.

#5 Martin Ayotte

Martin Ayotte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Unfortunately, this solution didn't work for me. I've recently purchase a Lexar MicroSDHC 8GB from Walmart, to figure out about Netduino SD limitation. It doesn't mount on my Netduino Plus. Since Wikipedia mentionned that all cards should support SPI mode, I continue to search forums, and found this thread. So, I've repartionned/formatted my MicroSD using Gparted under Ubuntu to get one partition 1.8GB/FAT and try it out : probably it get further, but Netduino hang for about 30 seconds before my apps start responding again, (btw, my application didn't try access the SD yet), so it is like the Firmware is busy trying to do the mount, but after awhile, it failed, and continue running the application thread. btw, I'm running firmware Netduino Plus 4.2.0.1, Any idea/solution ?

#6 GeBrander

GeBrander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

For me the one of 2GB not working was a SanDisk 2GB Micro SD card. I replaced it with another card of 2GB that does work...

#7 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

For me the one of 2GB not working was a SanDisk 2GB Micro SD card. I replaced it with another card of 2GB that does work...

I only use SanDisk 2GB micro SD cards and they work perfectly. Perhaps it was a formatting issue. I'm using them in several prototypes without issue.

#8 Martin Ayotte

Martin Ayotte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi Chris, As I mentionned in another thread, I've purchased an old 2GB uSD on eBay, I've just received it today ! With that one, everything works fine. For other uSDHC, I will have to wait KodeDaemon's submission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.