Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Newbie External Device Power Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ryandb2

ryandb2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Alright I will preface this with stating that I am completely new at this. It has been 10 years since my last Circuit Design and Digital Hardware class and most of that information has left my brain. So if the answer to my question is a recommendation to read a specific book that will work as well :) My goal is to hook an electromagnet to a netduino. I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.co...=A1THAZDOWP300U and I'm not really sure how to tell if the netduino can power this. I'm guessing from these specs the answer is no: Rated Voltage : DC 24V;Current : 0.48A Power : 1.2W;Attraction : 9000gf but I'm just not 100% sure what to be looking for, I know basic electronics fail :) Thank you for any help you can provide!

#2 carb

carb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationCrystal River, Florida

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Alright I will preface this with stating that I am completely new at this. It has been 10 years since my last Circuit Design and Digital Hardware class and most of that information has left my brain. So if the answer to my question is a recommendation to read a specific book that will work as well :)

My goal is to hook an electromagnet to a netduino. I'm looking at this one http://www.amazon.co...=A1THAZDOWP300U

and I'm not really sure how to tell if the netduino can power this.

I'm guessing from these specs the answer is no:
Rated Voltage : DC 24V;Current : 0.48A
Power : 1.2W;Attraction : 9000gf

but I'm just not 100% sure what to be looking for, I know basic electronics fail :)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Ryan,

The Netduino can not power the coil, but you can control a relay or transistor with the Netduino and thereby control the coil.

Just out of curiosity are you going to be using the coil on a valve or to pick stuff up? The reason I ask is the coil appears to be made to work with a valve. It does not appear to have a pole piece that will direct the magnetic flux to the end of the coil for lifting objects. The magnetic field will be strongest inside the coil.

By the way welcome to the forum. Search for relays in the forum and you should find some information and code that will help you get started.

If you need additional help, please ask and provide as much information as you can about what you are trying to do. Often you will get a reply fairly quick, but please remember that most on the forum are not payed (may take some time to put an answer together for you) and a fair number live in Europe so your answers may appear in the early morning here in the North America.

Hope this helps,
Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.