Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

netduino go rgb-led modul on arduino

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scorpi

scorpi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi Is there a way to connect and use a netduino go rgb led modul on arduino? I would like to use this module mit a arduino and the arduino ide. Thanx

#2 JerseyTechGuy

JerseyTechGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Not sure why you would want to use a Netduino GO module on an Arduino. I would just get something like the Tri-Color Breakout from Sparkfun or even the WS2801 Breakout which works with anything you wire it to.

#3 scorpi

scorpi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

1.) I have one module at home. 2.) It looks like the Netduino GO module can be controlled over SPI. This would nice to have. I see the WS2801 Breakout have SPI to. But I would like to test my Netduino Go module on an Arduino. Is "why" a good answer? I asked if it is possible. And if so, how. Why people have to always explain the "why"? :blink: Thank you, looks like the WS2801 Breakout is a good alternative.

#4 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

You almost certainly can, you would have to either sniff the spi data being sent by the go and emulate that on an arduino or it may be possible to just decompile the RBG module driver and implement that in c on the arduino. I havn't looked to closely at how that driver is put together but i wouldn't imagine it would be that hard to do, that said it would undoubtedly be easier to use the RGB modules linked to above Another option would be to solder some additional wires to the led hijack the led and bypass the STM8S on the module, but if you do that you may as well just use the WS2801 Breakout module... Nak.

#5 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:00 PM

The RGB module is controller over SPI, you can simply send the data frame that contains the colors:

0x80, 0x02 (command "set color"), 0xXX (red), 0xXX (green), 0xXX (blue), 0x00 ... 0x00 (padding), 0xXX (CRC8).

The frame is fixed size, 18 bytes long, CRC uses CRC-8-CCITT polynomial (0x07). Have a look at A Developer’s Introduction to go!bus, it contains very detailed description.

#6 Arron Chapman

Arron Chapman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Fabien Royer recently had an article on Channel 9 about how to use Modules with the Netduino/+ from that I'm sure you can get all of the information you need to do it with an Arduino.

When you talk EE use small words, I'm just a Software Developer :)
My Blog/Site and Everything Else

If my post helped you please consider pressing the "Like This" button in the bottom right-hand corner.

Oh my. So many things, so little money!!

#7 scorpi

scorpi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thank you all. These are the informations that I'm looking for. If I have time I would test it in the next days. thanx

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hi scorpi, We just published the spec for GoBus v1.5. If you're interested in helping create an Arduino implementation, drop me a note. You could certainly use it (and any of the other GoBus 1.5+ modules) with your Arduino. NOTE: GoBus is 3.3V, so you'll want to make sure you use an Arduino Due or voltage level conversion. Chris [also posted on the arduino.cc forums in response to your post there.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.