Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Site might as well say "Don't use Netduino"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I never thought I'd post something negative on here, but I sometimes wonder how important Netduino is to Secret Labs. Why? Look at the hardware page on this site. It hasn't changed in years. There's still only one hardware option listed. And there's no buzz at all. While Netduino stagnates, you've got other products like the one below getting huge press. http://www.engadget....ter-arduino-jr/ Secret Labs, should we consider Netduino orphaned? Yes, yes, I know you just released a new firmware update, and that's appreciated. But will we see anything new with this website? Will we see any new Netduino hardware options? Will we see any increased effort to make people aware of Netduino? I'm really thinking I might have to move to Arduino development, even though I totally don't want to. But I'm starting to feel like that's necessary in order to have the widest array of options to me, and to have a solution I can be sure will be here years to come, and that will continue to innovate. Thoughts?

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I agree the website could use an update after 2 years, especially since some information is somewat hidden. But the Netduino project is still under development. Since 4 months we've launched a new eco-system with Netduino Go! and with the 4.2 upgrade Secret Labs show that even old hardware will remain supported. If I look at Arduino, they used the same chips and form factors for years too, so from a hardware perspective Netduino is far but outdated. I also believe Arduino and Netduino are difficult to compare. They are two totally different systems, even though they use the same shield form factor.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for your note and the feedback. Let me provide a few insights, and we'd love more feedback as well...

The Netduino project is very important to Secret Labs. It started out as a hobby for us, something we wanted to do to enable other software developers to get into hardware. But it's become very popular--tens of thousands of developers and even more boards out there, growing strongly month to month. So about a year ago we decided to make some large investments in Netduino, to make sure the platform continued to be the best solution for developers.

So as far as innovation goes, please take a look at Netduino Go. Its GoBus technology is the most radical and innovative new platform to hit the NETMF world and quite possibly the open source hardware world. It's a major innovation keystone for the Netduino community, and you'll be seeing a lot more of it.

We probably should do more outreach to the gadget blogs. It seems that many hardware projects make very small improvements and then raise a lot of awareness in the gadget blogs. We've always been more of a "pack as much value into a product as possible so it is the best solution for users for several years" kind of people...so we tend to have longer development cycles and much nicer products out of the gate.

Regarding the hardware page...we have an updated site navigation system designed which will help users navigate through all the hardware; we will be bringing that online soon.

BTW, Arduino is a fun platform too. It's a completely different beast and we believe that NETMF is a more appropriate solution for development of sophisticated microcontroller projects. But we love the other open source projects too.

You, the Netduino community, are the reason we're here. If you'd like to see more buzz about the innovative new Netduino hardware/software/features, please let us know. Please help us share that excitement with the blogs.

Thank you for being part of the team,

Chris

#4 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the response, Chris. Ok, I guess all arguments could point back to the Go. But I think you can see I consider the Netduino line and the Go line separate products. What I'm looking for is activity in the Netduino space itself, not the Go space. For example, what about a Netduino with wireless built in? Or maybe one that's similar to the kickstarter device I linked to? I supersmall Netduino that could plug directly into USB would be awesome! More importantly, how about a Netduino board I haven't thought of yet. Surprise us with something new. Speaking of the website, I'm glad something new is coming. I hope some new, cool project examples will come as well, and that the home page will make it easier to find new content. As for me, I'm trying to do what little I can. I had my Catan netduino dice roller linked to from the Catan fb page. Maybe it generated a little interest. I want people to know how cool Netduino is. John

#5 nakchak

nakchak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

The only thing i could add is maybe secret labs should have a blog on the homepage, so that developments, news, and cool projects can be highlighted. Maybe some sort of vision statement or state of affairs message could be posted, so that well secret labs appears less secretive to people who casually look at the site and/or dont trawl through the forums or hang out in chat? Nak.

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Ok, I guess all arguments could point back to the Go. But I think you can see I consider the Netduino line and the Go line separate products.

More importantly, how about a Netduino board I haven't thought of yet. Surprise us with something new.

Wasn't the Netduino Go! a surprise, something new, something you haven't thought of yet? ;)

Keep in mind, there aren't much types of official arduinos either. Most are Arduino-compatible, based on the open source Arduino with an atmega chipset, but not from the makers of Arduino themselves, your kickstart project included.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.