Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Participating in the formalization of specs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hi Chris,

Once we feel comfortable with the performance of virtual i/o on the Shield Base, we'll formalize that into a spec. You're welcome to join with us in implementing that for STM8S if you'd like...Netduino is community.

Why is it that the community who helped launch the Netduino Go! is not able to participate in the formalization of this spec based on use cases and requirements and our collective experience with Go! so far? We, the module-builder community, will have to comply to that specification when the time comes, yet, we have no say as to what goes into it?

we're determined to use the go!bus interoperability logo program and virtual i/o to ensure that doesn't happen with the go!bus ecosystem. It's all balance...hopefully we can all come up with the best balance.

That's a great goal and I fully support it but right now, I don't understand where the notion of 'balance' enters the equation when the definition of the logo is happening behind closed doors.

The STM8S-Discovery can be a pretty intimiating thing to look at, so having a simpler starting point to work with (such as ItsDan and Arron's Prototype module) is really valuable.

As long as the value-added firmware is there to support the simplicity claim, I would agree. At the moment, the barrier to entry is lower on the STM8SDiscovery side.

-Fabien.

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Hi Fabien,

Why is it that the community who helped launch the Netduino Go! is not able to participate in the formalization of this spec based on use cases and requirements and our collective experience with Go! so far? We, the module-builder community, will have to comply to that specification when the time comes, yet, we have no say as to what goes into it?

Perhaps something got lost in translation here? You're more than welcome to participate. We're working on the reflashing code right now, but the standard virtual-I/O spec details are next up...and we'll be talking actively about them in the forums. We certainly welcome your input!

A lot of specs (think WiFi) are hammered out in committees, over a period of years. Some specs are hammered out by one person or a few people in a matter of days or weeks. We need to stay toward the latter, but we're going to try to find a way to do it out in the open so the best input can make it into the firmware and everyone can benefit.

If there's anything you want to be involved in specifically, please let me know.

Chris

#3 Fabien Royer

Fabien Royer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hi Chris,

Perhaps something got lost in translation here? You're more than welcome to participate. We're working on the reflashing code right now, but the standard virtual-I/O spec details are next up...and we'll be talking actively about them in the forums. We certainly welcome your input!

If you would like community participation, please create a 'standard virtual-I/O spec' page in the Wiki capturing the use case scenarios and requirements defining what is entering the Go!Bus specification. From there, we as a community, can comment on the document and have focused, educated discussions in the forums.

A lot of specs (think WiFi) are hammered out in committees, over a period of years. Some specs are hammered out by one person or a few people in a matter of days or weeks. We need to stay toward the latter, but we're going to try to find a way to do it out in the open so the best input can make it into the firmware and everyone can benefit.

We can all agree that design by committee sucks. Designing in a vacuum sucks equally as bad Posted Image

-Fabien.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:00 AM

If you would like community participation, please create a 'standard virtual-I/O spec' page in the Wiki capturing the use case scenarios and requirements defining what is entering the Go!Bus specification. From there, we as a community, can comment on the document and have focused, educated discussions in the forums.

That's a great idea. Once we get to that point in the schedule, we should do that.

We'll also want to put together more details on the electrical/mechanical specs for go!bus that already exist. All of it is out there in bits and pieces...we should probably put it all in one place. CW2 and Matt have done a great job collating much of it so far on the Wiki.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.