Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Building Netduino Firmware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Onkar

Onkar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

I have looked around but could not find information on how can I build the tinyboot and MF firmware for Netdunio. I have installed the MF 4.1 Porting Kit and copied over the Netduino firmware source files/folders over to C:\MicroFrameworkPK_v4_1. What do I now? I have VS 2008 and VS 2010 installed on my desktop. Can I build the tinyboot and firmware image with this setup? Please suggest if I am completely off the track. Thanks, OS

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

You need an ARM cross compiler to build the firmware for Netduino, for example Keil MDK or ARM RVDS (both rather expensive). A few GCC-based toolchains can be used too, but you'd have to remove most of the features to make the resulting image fit into flash memory. For detailed steps how to setup the build environment refer to .NET MF Porting Kit documentation (should be already installed on your computer, it is a part of .NET PK) and for Netduino specific things you may want to check out the following thread.

#3 Onkar

Onkar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

You need an ARM cross compiler to build the firmware for Netduino, for example Keil MDK or ARM RVDS (both rather expensive). A few GCC-based toolchains can be used too, but you'd have to remove most of the features to make the resulting image fit into flash memory. For detailed steps how to setup the build environment refer to .NET MF Porting Kit documentation (should be already installed on your computer, it is a part of .NET PK) and for Netduino specific things you may want to check out the following thread.

I don't really have a need to build the firmware. I just want the tinyboot and firmware images that we can flash on our board.

Are there any prebuilt images somewhere?

#4 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

The images are attached to the sticky (pinned) posts named "Netduino Firmware vx.x.x" in the respective forums (e.g. Netduino Firmware v4.1.0 (update 6)), beta versions are in Beta Firmware and Drivers forum.

#5 Spiked

Spiked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:52 AM

I'm thinking I'm going to need to add stuff to the firmware myself, although it is way out of my comfort zone I don't know what else to try.

Is there any updated info I missed about a current procedure to do this?

I see the notes on doing it for 4.2.X in the wiki, step one is obtain some compiler that has been retired, so obviously that is out of date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.