Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Arm DSO Nano and family

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

I've bee looking at the ARM DSO Nano series of oscilliscopes as there cheep semi disposable ( wouldn't care much if they get broken) but I'm curious

Does anyone know who make them?
Anyone got experience with them?

So far my only other Cheep Chinese made product (superdpad 3) has been faithfully working, so I'm wondering if the dso nanos there worth buying.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add a product link-
ARS Nano V2 Mini Pocket Osciliscope

"Maybe it's because you're a crap programmer"

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Does anyone know who make them?

Seeed Studio

#3 Spork

Spork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:36 AM

I think that electronic pros or hardcore hobbyists would consider the DSO Nano to be "a toy". I'm neither a pro nor a hardcore hobbyist, so the DSO Nano worked for me. I bought one because I was curious about the i2c bus. Since i2c generally runs at a relatively slow 100kHz, the Nano was able to give me a good picture of what was going on with i2c in my projects. Bottom line is that I like it and I'm happy I bought it. I can certainly understand that there are projects where it wouldn't be useful, but I'm not going to buy a "real" oscilloscope until my Nano can no longer keep up.

#4 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:44 AM

Totally agree with Spork.
I bought that scope at the beginning of 2011, but once I had in my hands, I realized it is much like "I wish but I can't".

Briefly some faults:
  • I measured the actual bandwidth, and it's 2-3MHz: it means a typical SPI signal is yet distorted;
  • the side buttons are not comfortable for a normal usage;
  • the scope is too tiny, and you have many problems to handle it;
  • the menu system is cumbersome: after two usages, you'll throw the scope out of the window;
  • many bugs.
Here is the forum thread about the DSO Quad bandwidth, where I posted some stuffs (my nickname is "vernarim"):
http://www.seeedstud...php?f=22&t=1944

For less than 100$ could be considerable, for 200$ it does not (IMHO).
For a decent scope to play with *duino, you should consider at least a 30MHz, two-channel scope. I guess you can find it for 300-400$. If you dig around the used scopes, you may find even for much less.
Hope it helps.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#5 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

• I measured the actual bandwidth, and it's 2-3MHz: it means a typical SPI signal is yet distorted;

I'm not an expert on scopes (just a user ...), but doesn't that mean that the infos on http://iteadstudio.c...products_id=355 are very off? (It claims to have an analog bandwidth of 72Mhz and up to 72MS/s (well, it is odd that those numbers are the same) - that is an order of magnitude off ...)
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#6 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

Don't forget that a logic analyser will be cheaper still. If you're just looking at the content rather than the quality of a digital signal such as SPI then it does a great job. I'm happy with my Scanalogic device and I know other like the Saleae.

#7 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

I'm not an expert on scopes (just a user ...), but doesn't that mean that the infos on http://iteadstudio.c...products_id=355 are very off? (It claims to have an analog bandwidth of 72Mhz and up to 72MS/s (well, it is odd that those numbers are the same) - that is an order of magnitude off ...)

Stefan, take a look at the link I posted above in this thread. The Seeedstudio forum thread about the bandwidth is pretty long, but there are lots of funny things.

Don't forget that a logic analyser will be cheaper still. If you're just looking at the content rather than the quality of a digital signal such as SPI then it does a great job. I'm happy with my Scanalogic device and I know other like the Saleae.

A logic analyzer is surely cheaper than a scope, but does not allow to perform lots of measurements.
As usual, until everything goes fine the LA is enough, when something is not working the scope is mandatory.
Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#8 JonnyBoats

JonnyBoats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationPhillips, ME

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Another option is to get a good used analog oscilloscope, I picked up a used Tektronix 100 Mz dual channel unit that is absolutely top quality. If you shop around you should be able to find one for $100 or less, often much less. Look on Craigs List and E-Bay. It is best if you find one locally as they are big, heavy and easily damaged in transit if not packed properly for shipping. Plus if you buy locally you can verify that it works before handing over your cash. I have heard of many people who were poor students without much money who have asked around and gotten used scopes for free, although that route will probably take you longer. Good luck!

#9 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

Blond question alert: Even in it's current state is it useful for measuring PWM and Ethernet communication?

#10 Stefan W.

Stefan W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:11 PM

PWM generated by netduino (max freq 500 khz), yes. Ethernet communication will be too high frequeny, i fear.
I believe that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.
-- H.L. Mencken, "What I Believe"

#11 AJB2K3

AJB2K3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks, may have to employ some pre 2000 meter mods then for that to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.