Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Stopping program when stopping debugging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Inquisitor

Inquisitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

I notice when I stop debugging a program (Shift-F5) that the program is still running on the Netduino (evidenced since I have the on board LED blinking as part of the program). Sometimes while modifying code and trying to debug again, I get the hang up that I need to unplug/replug the Netduino to get it to load the new version. I’m sure it has something to do with my program running and exceptioning as it continues on unattended. Is there a way to force the program to stop when I use Shift-F5 so that it will be more likely to be more receptive when I go to start debugging again? Thanks!
Doing my best to keep the smoke in the little black boxes.
If my message helped you... how 'bout giving me a Posted Image
www.MessingWithReality.com

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

I notice when I stop debugging a program (Shift-F5) that the program is still running on the Netduino (evidenced since I have the on board LED blinking as part of the program). Sometimes while modifying code and trying to debug again, I get the hang up that I need to unplug/replug the Netduino to get it to load the new version. I’m sure it has something to do with my program running and exceptioning as it continues on unattended.

Is there a way to force the program to stop when I use Shift-F5 so that it will be more likely to be more receptive when I go to start debugging again?

I've noticed a similar problem redeploying if I have a tight loop. I seem to have got around it by putting a Thread.Sleep(1) in the loop, This will obviously not help with time critical code.

Hope this help,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hi Inquisitor, With .NET Micro Framework, you're remote debugging the code on your Netduino. When you "stop debugging" in Visual Studio, the debugger simply detaches...and the app continues running. It would be nice to offer a feature in the .NET Micro Framework SDK to actually halt operation of your program. If that's interesting to you, please recommend it over at netmf.codeplex.com (add a work item on the issues page). If you have problems connecting to redeploy, erase your current app (using MFDeploy and the hold-pushbutton-during-power-up mode if necessary) and you should be good to go again. Chris

#4 Inquisitor

Inquisitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi Inquisitor,

With .NET Micro Framework, you're remote debugging the code on your Netduino. When you "stop debugging" in Visual Studio, the debugger simply detaches...and the app continues running.

It would be nice to offer a feature in the .NET Micro Framework SDK to actually halt operation of your program. If that's interesting to you, please recommend it over at netmf.codeplex.com (add a work item on the issues page).

If you have problems connecting to redeploy, erase your current app (using MFDeploy and the hold-pushbutton-during-power-up mode if necessary) and you should be good to go again.

Chris

Thanks Chris, It would be one of those nice to have's. It wasn't really an issue... simply dis/re-connecting the USB would allow the new one to slide on in.
Doing my best to keep the smoke in the little black boxes.
If my message helped you... how 'bout giving me a Posted Image
www.MessingWithReality.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.