Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Can't release/renew IP address?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chedemefedeme

chedemefedeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

Hello. I'm having some trouble with my new Netduino. Running the current stable firmware I am unable to do a "release and renew" of the device's IP address in software. Release will set the IP to all 0s but renew will never work after that. The only way to get the device an IP again is to remove it from power then boot it back up. I'm pretty new to C#/.Net so perhaps someone can show me how to do this properly in code..but so far I've tried a vast many ways and simply am stuck on this. The application I'm writing depends upon the ability to reliably release/renew in software without having to power cycle the thing. Thanks in advance for the help. First time owner and this thing is pretty nifty!

#2 bradygaster

bradygaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:09 AM

If you connect your device to your machine and open up MFDeploy (it is in the NETMF folder, NOT in the Netduino install folder) it will give you the ability to "reboot" the Netduino. That fixes things. I just dealt with this last week when I was doing some networking with my plus. I'd change the IP or update my code and re-deploy, but things didn't seem to "stick" and I kept thinking "no way do I have to unplug it over and over again." In the MFDeploy tool there's a menu item labelled "Plug-in." If you click it you'll see a "reboot" option. It might be slightly different verbiage but you'll see it. Hope this helps ease the pain!

#3 chedemefedeme

chedemefedeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

I've found that a reboot (which can be initiated within my code) is the only reliable way to do this. A shame the release and renew of IP doesn't seem to work properly without rebooting the whole device. Perhaps in a new firmware update this can be addressed? Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to ping another host from this thing and my application will be humming along. Seems some ICMP stuff is either missing or different in netduino's .net micro framework. Any ideas appreciated.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:09 AM

Hi chedemefedeme, Would you mind writing up a bug report for the release-and-renew issue over at netmf.codeplex.com? Chris

#5 Anshul

Anshul

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:01 AM

Hi chedemefedeme,

Would you mind writing up a bug report for the release-and-renew issue over at netmf.codeplex.com?

Chris

Has this been been resolved/reported yet? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.