Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Future of Netduino

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

So I'm loving Netduino. I'm making a contraption right now, and it's so easy to work with! My question is, what is the future of Netduino? Is there a roadmap somewhere? I see Secret Labs posting on new software functionality. And I see the Mini, which is cool. This isn't a doubting question or trying to stir any pots... I just like to know where things are going as I begin this fun endeavor of working with Netduino. I want to be as excited for the future as for the present, and would love to hear anything exciting about said future! Thanks, John

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi John, The future of Netduino is pretty exciting. We are currently working on five Netduino-brand products at Secret Labs, both mainboard and accessories. I don't have anything to share quite yet, but it's safe to say that there's some exciting stuff coming in the next year. :) Chris

#3 John West

John West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

That is ridiculously exciting! Glad to hear it! What is Microsoft's role in things at this point? Do they have any official involvement in the netduino space?

Hi John,

The future of Netduino is pretty exciting. We are currently working on five Netduino-brand products at Secret Labs, both mainboard and accessories.

I don't have anything to share quite yet, but it's safe to say that there's some exciting stuff coming in the next year. :)

Chris

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Microsoft continues to drive the core .NET MF platform forward, and the community is pitching in with both enhancements and bug fixes. The Netduino roadmap is driven by the Secret Labs design team and feedback from the Netduino community. As we roll out new boards and accessories over the next 14 months, you'll instantly recognize the Netduino DNA as well as the community feedback that has been incorporated into their designs. Chris

#5 Inquisitor

Inquisitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:54 PM

Microsoft continues to drive the core .NET MF platform forward, and the community is pitching in with both enhancements and bug fixes.

The Netduino roadmap is driven by the Secret Labs design team and feedback from the Netduino community. As we roll out new boards and accessories over the next 14 months, you'll instantly recognize the Netduino DNA as well as the community feedback that has been incorporated into their designs.

Chris

I too, being new, am trying to get the lay of the land... Where is it most appropriate to request something added in the .NET area? Last night I was running great guns (with my background of desktop .NET) and ran over a few pot holes and finally hit a wall.

I've seen some forums have the ability to set up voting... Is it desirable and possible for an Admin to create a "pinned" thread that allows forum members to add topics and let all forum members vote? This way… Microsoft, Secret Lab and developers with the interest and ability to add functionality can see what the level of interest for a given functionality. For instance… from just my last night’s work, I would want to request…

• string.Format()
  • StringBuilder (that I see is coming in 4.2)
  • Reflection being extended – I was ecstatic to see that it was there at all (I didn’t expect to find it). Using the Type.GetMethods() I was going great until I found no support for ParameterInfo and GetParameters.

Doing my best to keep the smoke in the little black boxes.
If my message helped you... how 'bout giving me a Posted Image
www.MessingWithReality.com

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi Inquisitor, The best place to request features is at netmf.codeplex.com. You can open up a work item and ask for anything... One thing to remember...each new feature takes up flash that your application could be using. On the desktop, doubling the size of the .NET Framework just requires extra MBs from already-huge hard drives. On Netduino, doubling the size of the .NET Micro Framework would mean zero room left for your application :) Microsoft has been fairly conservative in keeping things small... Chris

#7 AlfredBr

AlfredBr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

@ChrisWalker Will you be going to Microsoft's BUILD conference this year?

#8 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

I can't make it to BUILD, but I will be at MakerFaire NY.

Chris

#9 Dan Morphis

Dan Morphis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:09 PM

Alfred, I'm going to BUILD. You going?

-dan

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

Alfred, I'm going to BUILD. You going?

Now I'm _really_ starting to feel like I'm going to be missing out!

I'm at CEDIA from September 7-10 and at MakerFaire from September 17-18. It seems like maybe I should just take a 12-day straight trip and catch two days off work--and BUILD right in the middle ;)

New York -> Indianapolis -> Los Angeles -> New York -> New York. Oh how I wish I could...

Chris

#11 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Back to the topic of this thread. I often wonder what will be the future of Netduino and, more in general, of the Micro Framework. No doubt that both are amazing and very nice to work with, but since my joining here I've seen rarely projects/circuits that could fit in the commercial/professional segment. Most of the people are using Netduino as for hobby or for scholastic purposes. Chris Walker stated that there will be some new hardware from his labs, but what's the target? It seems to me that a board like Netduino is weak in several sections, so many real-life apps would be reliable and easier to develop using Arduino or, better, a normal microcontroller. I'd prefer to improve its weaknesses before creating something new (maybe even with the same weaknesses). I must confess that I am a bit scared about the future of Netduino and the MF. I don't see any people looking for commercial apps, nor industrial features (i.e. "moving bunch of money and making business"). So, in which way the future of a "gadget" would be shine? I am *really* curious to hear from all of you. Maybe the truth in the US is totally different from Italy. Maybe yet in Europe would be different? All that *NOT* to criticize anyone or anything, but just to "shock" the people around this project. I hope someone else will understand my viewpoint. Thank you all. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#12 ColinR

ColinR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Commercial projects are not discussed as openly as hobby projects. Perhaps there is the disjoint. I've seen a few people not posting/releasing source due to the source being of a closed, commercial nature.

#13 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

Commercial projects are not discussed as openly as hobby projects. Perhaps there is the disjoint. I've seen a few people not posting/releasing source due to the source being of a closed, commercial nature.

Any licensing/right/secret is not involved in the context, thus respected at all.
I mean about real showcases, or witnesses about the usage of Netduino (or even GHI's stuffs) and the Micro Framework.
Cheers

#14 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

Hi Mario, We are seeing a lot of commercial products being developed which are based off of Netduino and NETMF. Including some that will be shipping early next year from Secret Labs (on the other side of the business). I'll see if I can get permission to talk more about those. The conversations in the Netduino community are usually about educational/hobby applications...but there's no reason we shouldn't celebrate the commercial accomplishments which are generating millions (or tens/hundred of millions) of dollars in sales outside the hobby space. Also, I agree that there are some things that AVRs ("Arduino") do better, and some things that NETMF on ARM does better. There has been a lot of work put into NETMF 4.2, and I'm confident that you're going to see more and more features and efficiencies coming to NETMF and Netduino for several years to come. Chris

#15 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

Just be clear (because English is not my language).
I *really love* Netduino and the MF: I don't love them fewer, because they cannot solve some problem.
Instead, that would be a good reason to work on the weaknesses of the platform.
I *really love* C# and the desktop framework, so I won't stop playing, working and supporting Netduino and the MF. That's sure.

For you Chris, the main (I'd say the "only one") real weakness of the Netduino (Plus) is the impossibility to create custom drivers. I mean native drivers, that probably would solve most of the limitations of the actual model.
I understand this is not easy to solve, and I'd love the whole MF will have a review in modularity. At the moment, a hobbist who owns a Netduino Plus cannot modify the firmware in any way, thus no native driver capability.

For the business around this platform, I believe your words, but also I make some effort to understand that the business is so big. I have almost no info on any kind of commercial or professional circuit: even on internet there's no trace about this kind of business.
I hope this would be a rising trend in the near future.

C'mon people!...anyone else want to drop his own experience?

#16 matthewp

matthewp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

Mario, I think Netduino and Arduino are great for prototyping. Netduino especially, because of the language choice. You can quickly create a prototype on this platform and then if you think you have something worth investing in, drop down to the raw components and build the final product for much cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.