Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Detecting Water Level

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 William Bartholomew

William Bartholomew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:15 AM

I'm working on a Netduino Plus project to monitor my hedgehog's enclosure. I'm planning on monitoring temperature, light level, whether he's sleeping or not, statistics from his wheel (speed, distance, etc.), and water bottle level. I've been doing some research and I have planned solutions to all of these exception for the water bottle level. I've thought of a few ideas (magnet attached to something that floats and hall effect sensor, IR transmitters/receivers, drilling holes and inserting probes, etc.). Has anyone tried something like this before or have any ideas which might help? This isn't the exact water bottle but it's pretty similar: http://www.amazon.co...0962283&sr=8-46

#2 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

... any ideas which might help?

How about a pressure sensor? You might want to check out water tank depth sensor project, if I remember it correctly there are various approaches discussed in the book in detail - i.e. placement of the sensor, in you case it could be on the output pipe.

Another idea would be to place the bottle (holder) on a hacked digital scale and measure its weight.

Edit: Do you need to measure the water level continuously, or just discrete values (e.g. full, empty)?

#3 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:42 AM

I'm working on a Netduino Plus project to monitor my hedgehog's enclosure. I'm planning on monitoring temperature, light level, whether he's sleeping or not, statistics from his wheel (speed, distance, etc.), and water bottle level.

This isn't the exact water bottle but it's pretty similar:
http://www.amazon.co...0962283&sr=8-46

Is it possible to use a float switch?

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#4 William Bartholomew

William Bartholomew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:36 AM

I only need to measure discrete values (probably thirds). I suspect the water bottle is too small to measure pressure but a small float switch may work.

#5 Gunnar

Gunnar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada, BC

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

I only need to measure discrete values (probably thirds). I suspect the water bottle is too small to measure pressure but a small float switch may work.

How about http://www.adafruit....products_id=166, looks like a logarithmic scale from 20 to 10000 grams.Price is right!

#6 Inquisitor

Inquisitor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

Ran across this and remembered your request. A little pricy… but… http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10221
Doing my best to keep the smoke in the little black boxes.
If my message helped you... how 'bout giving me a Posted Image
www.MessingWithReality.com

#7 Mr. Prototype

Mr. Prototype

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

I am working on something involving non-contact measurements for determining the amount of water in a tank. That sensor from spark fun is nice, but I don't want to put any wires in the tank at all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.