Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

I think I killed it :(

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Not sure exactly what I did ... but I have a number of Easydriver boards connected and an external 12V supply plugged into the Netduino. Was removing the USB and knocked the 12V. Everything flashed off for a second ... now both lights are on and the project doesnt work anymore :( I've tried to get SAM-BA running but I have Windows 7 on my laptop nad Vista on the desktop. SAM-BA on 1st connection offers COM1 and I can select the device (at91sam7x512-ek) but when I hit connect the little pop-up selection screen disappears and nothing (although I note that I have a sam-ba_cdc.exe process still running) I've tried the MFDeploy but it can't find the device on USB or COM . Also when I plug-in the Netduino I get a message USB device not recognised. (pics attached) I've tried ... (1) erasing by connecting 3.3V power pin to the gold spot below the 0 pin (5 seconds) and reconnecting (2) having a beer Neither changed anything ... any help appreciated Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationBreda, the Netherlands

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hi Steve! You mention both lights are emitting continuously? If I'm correct, that's a good sign! The unrecognised USB-device also confirms to me that it detects a device, so it's still there. Do you use Windows Update? If you go to the device manager and let it pick up drivers from Windows Update, it should pick up a virtual COM-port. Two continuously emitting LEDs mean there's no firmware available I think. So you should be enable to upload the tinybootloader with SAM-BA.
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!
My .NETMF projects: .NETMF Toolbox / Gadgeteer Light / Some PCB designs

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hi Steve,

Try loading SAM-BA onto a Windows XP or Vista machine, and see if works there for you.

Also, in the Device Manager...does the device show up?

White + blue LED means that either the firmware has been erased or that the board can't boot because it's [a] been electrocuted or [b] is being blocked from booting. In the case of the latter, try unplugging things and if all else fails reflash the board.

Chris

#4 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Also, try this Tutorial. I had the same with Windows 7 x64 http://wiki.netduino...y-Netduino.ashx
"Fact that I'm a moderator doesn't make me an expert in things." Stefan, the eternal newb!

#5 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Two different peoples have blown their Netduino, on the same day... I guess it might be Quetzalcoatl putting a curse on them! Let's hope in some better news...
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#6 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:36 AM

(2) having a beer

I have suggesting adding beer to my diagnostic tools - my wife frowned, shook her head and walked away. I guess that's one tool I may have to live without.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#7 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Also, try this Tutorial. I had the same with Windows 7 x64

http://wiki.netduino...y-Netduino.ashx

Alas ... no joy here.

When I run the device driver update it goes off and searches ... but then comes back and reports the current driver is the best available. When I look at driver details it says no driver installed :blink: (see attached)

Attached Files

#8 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

When I run the device driver update it goes off and searches ... but then comes back and reports the current driver is the best available. When I look at driver details it says no driver installed :blink: (see attached)

You are using Windows 7 64-bit, right? I'll look if I can just find the correct .inf file for you then. It detects a device, which I consider a good sign!

#9 Mario Vernari

Mario Vernari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1768 posts
  • LocationVenezia, Italia

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

Steve, consider the Netduino plugged off the PC (also without any external supply). Now, when you plug the USB cable to the PC, it recognizes anything (i.e. some kind of device was connected) or there's no signs of life? The first condition means that the board is still alive...maybe seriously injured, but not dead. Cheers
Biggest fault of Netduino? It runs by electricity.

#10 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

You are using Windows 7 64-bit, right? I'll look if I can just find the correct .inf file for you then. It detects a device, which I consider a good sign!

Sorry ... right now I'm on my Vista 32 bit machine ... will try this process again on my Win7 laptop (but it might be 32bit) ....

#11 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Steve, consider the Netduino plugged off the PC (also without any external supply).
Now, when you plug the USB cable to the PC, it recognizes anything (i.e. some kind of device was connected) or there's no signs of life?
The first condition means that the board is still alive...maybe seriously injured, but not dead.
Cheers

Yes, USB device recognised ... but unable to load device driver :(

#12 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Sorry ... right now I'm on my Vista 32 bit machine ... will try this process again on my Win7 laptop (but it might be 32bit) ....

Just tried on my Windows7 32 bit laptop ... no joy :(

is there a Virtual Com driver available ?

#13 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Ohhh 32-bit? Use the drivers at "C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\SAM-BA v2.10\drv".

#14 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Ohhh 32-bit? Use the drivers at "C:\Program Files\ATMEL Corporation\SAM-BA v2.10\drv".

Ok ... I worked out 2 things.

(1) I need to install the SAM-BA software in Windows-XP compatibility mode. Now I have sam-ba AND sam-ba_cdc icons on my desktop. Before I only had sam-ba_cdc.

(2) If I go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager and install the AMTEL driver (using the have disk option) when it installs I get a Blue-Screen-of-Death and an AMTEL memory addressing error dump :(

getting closer ... still no resolution

Update: OK ... I have uninstalled Samba and the blue screens have stopped happening every time I plug in the Netduino. Might just try and find and old XP machine .... sigh

#15 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

(1) I need to install the SAM-BA software in Windows-XP compatibility mode

I'm not sure if that would do any good, but it was worth a try.

Blue-Screen-of-Death

Have you got a dump of the crash that occured?

If you can find an old XP machine, that would be superb. Please keep us posted of your findings!

#16 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I'm not sure if that would do any good, but it was worth a try.

Have you got a dump of the crash that occured?

If you can find an old XP machine, that would be superb. Please keep us posted of your findings!

Hi Stefan ... yes i have the dump, but I don't know how to read it ...

#17 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi Stefan ... yes i have the dump, but I don't know how to read it ...

Could you post it here, or send me by PM? Tried an old XP machine by the way?

#18 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Haven't had a chance to get to an XP machine ... may have to build one.

But ... I did (just now) plug in my (other) working Netduino to my Windows 7 machine and it went off and found a secret labs device driver and installed it. I then unplugged and plugged in my bad Netduino. When I pointed it to the Netduino device driver it said "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

Will find and post dump (it's on my Vista desktop machine)

#19 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

But ... I did (just now) plug in my (other) working Netduino to my Windows 7 machine and it went off and found a secret labs device driver and installed it. I then unplugged and plugged in my bad Netduino. When I pointed it to the Netduino device driver it said "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

That's probably because you removed the firmware while doing this step:

(1) erasing by connecting 3.3V power pin to the gold spot below the 0 pin (5 seconds) and reconnecting

Then it won't show up as Netduino anymore since it has no memory of who he is. With SAM-BA the bootloader should be reinstalled.

If you live in the Netherlands I would love to check your Netduino out, hopefully to ressurect it.

Lets hope you have success in that in the end.

#20 Steve Hall

Steve Hall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

Here it is

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.