Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Parallells & Netduino...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

So I've been trying to use the Netduino on my Mac Pro under Parallels. It recognizes the netduino just fine but every time I try to deploy code to it, without fail, it stalls after the deploy with a message of "The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting..." in Visual Studio Pro 2010.

It works just fine from my PC.

This is with the simple LED Blinky application as a test - I went as simple as I could get.

Update: After some more testing it looks like the code DOES deploy, if I reseat the netduino it starts running the code, but if I run it from within Visual Studio it locks up as I mentioned above. Makes it hard to debug! :)

#2 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Very curious. Could you please try something really quick for me? Try using MFDeploy to ERASE the program on your Netduino (or create a new Netduino app that does nothing and deploy that)...and then see if your Parallels installation has any troubles. Chris

#3 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Very curious.

Could you please try something really quick for me? Try using MFDeploy to ERASE the program on your Netduino (or create a new Netduino app that does nothing and deploy that)...and then see if your Parallels installation has any troubles.

Chris

Very bizarre. Seems to be working for now. Any ideas what the problem is/was? I'll try to redeploy apps a few more times but I erased (worked), deployed a "blank" app (worked), and the deployed my GPS test application which also seems to be working.

#4 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Very bizarre. Seems to be working for now. Any ideas what the problem is/was? I'll try to redeploy apps a few more times but I erased (worked), deployed a "blank" app (worked), and the deployed my GPS test application which also seems to be working.

We have an idea. It's something that's likely a quick software fix if it is ever a blocking issue... We've started a conversation with Microsoft to see if there are ways to enhance the reboot logic on the PC side for the rare cases where this might crop up.

The good news is that it's easy to remedy. Simply erase your current program or press the reset button on your Netduino.

I'm very curious to see if it was a one-time thing for you or if you can reproduce it. If you can reproduce it, we'll try to copy the scenario in the lab and I'll get it into engineering. We want to make sure you have a really happy Netduino experience.

Chris

#5 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

We have an idea. It's something that's likely a quick software fix if it is ever a blocking issue... We've started a conversation with Microsoft to see if there are ways to enhance the reboot logic on the PC side for the rare cases where this might crop up.

The good news is that it's easy to remedy. Simply erase your current program or press the reset button on your Netduino.

I'm very curious to see if it was a one-time thing for you or if you can reproduce it. If you can reproduce it, we'll try to copy the scenario in the lab and I'll get it into engineering. We want to make sure you have a really happy Netduino experience.

Chris

Yeah - it's already happening again. Just wrote a little script to test analog input with a photoresistor and voila - same problem - stuck at "rebooting..."

This is a brand new Win 7 VM with Parallels Desktop 5 btw. Literally just installed it last night.

I should also mention that when it freezes up like that it's hard frozen. Can't ping it from MFDeploy or anything - can't find the device. Unless I unplug/replug it in.

#6 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

Yeah - it's already happening again. Just wrote a little script to test analog input with a photoresistor and voila - same problem - stuck at "rebooting..."

This is a brand new Win 7 VM with Parallels Desktop 5 btw. Literally just installed it last night.

Okay, this is good (reproducing the issue)...

Would you please test the two following?
1. When Visual Studio is deploying (but sits there for a while "rebooting" the device), press the reset button on the Netduino. Does Visual Studio kick back in and start working/debugging again?
2. If #1 doesn't help, try deploying an empty app to your Netduino again (or using ERASE from MFDeploy -- both do the same thing essentially). Does that remedy the issue (until the next deployment of your real project)?

Based on these two questions, I may have already found an answer...

Chris

#7 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Okay, this is good (reproducing the issue)...

Would you please test the two following?
1. When Visual Studio is deploying (but sits there for a while "rebooting" the device), press the reset button on the Netduino. Does Visual Studio kick back in and start working/debugging again?
2. If #1 doesn't help, try deploying an empty app to your Netduino again (or using ERASE from MFDeploy -- both do the same thing essentially). Does that remedy the issue (until the next deployment of your real project)?

Based on these two questions, I may have already found an answer...

Chris

#1 - No. Sits there until I stop all debugging, and then have to wait until I get the dialog to force a stop.

#2 - Once frozen I can't even erase as the netduino isn't recognized until i unplug it and plug it back in. The Netduino can't be found. After unplug/replug I try to deploy an empty app and it freezes up again. Unplug/replug and I can MFDeploy/Erase.

In the meantime I'm booting up my PC and will just use that to play. :)

#8 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

#1 - No. Sits there until I stop all debugging, and then have to wait until I get the dialog to force a stop.

#2 - Once frozen I can't even erase as the netduino isn't recognized until i unplug it and plug it back in. The Netduino can't be found. After unplug/replug I try to deploy an empty app and it freezes up again. Unplug/replug and I can MFDeploy/Erase.

In the meantime I'm booting up my PC and will just use that to play. :)

So Chris what do you think is the problem? It's driving me crazy!! My Mac is basically unusable as a development/deployment platform for the Netduino right now. :(

#9 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

So Chris what do you think is the problem? It's driving me crazy!! My Mac is basically unusable as a development/deployment platform for the Netduino right now. :(

Microsoft has identified a tweak to the computer-side software which may solve this. We're working with them to identify and test a resolution, and will have a patch file available within a week for you to test. I'll see if I can get something to you even sooner than that...

If you have a USB to TTL cable, you can also switch the firmware on your Netduino over to using serial for deploy/debug (although I recommend USB...it's much quicker).

Chris

#10 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

greg, you have mail. Please let me know if this fixes your issue...

#11 greg

greg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

greg, you have mail. Please let me know if this fixes your issue...

Thanks - I'll check it out as soon as I can - family is in town so it might be Sunday sometimes!

-Greg

#12 V64

V64

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Two and half years on - did this problem get fixed - I am asking because in my context *W8 in Parallels on OSX using VS2010 Express" I find that the Netduino after a Deploy is reported as  "The debugging target is not in an initialized state; rebooting..." and there is stops. Occasionally it reboots but 90% of the time it does not.

I have to use the Devices Menu on Parallels to 'disconnect/reconnect' the Netduino - and most times the Debug starts. I have upgraded to NETMF 4.2.

I really do not want to have to buy a PC!!!!!

#13 mackelen

mackelen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationVeghel - Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

I really do not want to have to buy a PC!!!!!

You know that a Mac is also a pc ? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.