Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

help driving LED strip lighting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 two schnauzers

two schnauzers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hi, I would like to use Netduino to drive RGB LED strip lighting. The strip draws .5 Amp per meter. What sort of add-on board or other devise would I use to take the digital output and control the power to the LEDs? I am interested in the "animating" the LED strip with different colors and patterns. A simple matter of programming :-) Thanks!

#2 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

What LED strip are you using? I have tried 4 different LED solutions for my project. Depending on what you have you might want to check out this thread. http://forums.netdui...ting-some-code/

#3 Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Secret Labs Staff

• Moderators
  • 7767 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Are you looking to do something along the lines of this (from Twitter user Travis Feirtag)? http://twitpic.com/3xsjr6

#4 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Are you looking to do something along the lines of this (from Twitter user Travis Feirtag)?
http://twitpic.com/3xsjr6

Heh, that is the sparkfun led strip :)

#5 two schnauzers

two schnauzers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I think the post you referred to will help greatly, thanks! Since my original post I discovered the power driver shield http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10305 and ordered one. The strip I ordered is 5 meters. I didn't realize there are ones with individually addressibe LEDs. I think the one I ordered just has RGB which will turn on all of the same color at once. Anyway thanks for the info, once everything arrives I will let the group know how it works out.

#6 SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

I think the one I ordered just has RGB which will turn on all of the same color at once. Anyway thanks for the info, once everything arrives I will let the group know how it works out.

That's what I was wondering. I did the same thing at the beginning of my project. You need some way to control the LEDs - so some shift registers or a LED driver. I used the TLC5947 which is just a fancy shift register that supports PWM.

Here's my order of events. First I made sure I could use the TLC5947 with some RGB LEDs I had

Then I found a 12v LED strip.

Then I found the Bliptronics LED pixels.

After having some issues with that Sparkfun came out with their addressable LED strip.

#7 two schnauzers

two schnauzers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

I received (and assembled) my power driver shield kit but am not clear on how to use it :( The first thing that is a problem is that it has an ATX power supply connector, when I hook up a power supply and turn it on the fan doesn't run. On a PC the power supply only runs when you press the power switch connected to the motherboard, so I am assuming some of the pins need to be tied together to tell the power supply to run. Anyone know about this? It is of course possible that I did a poor job on soldering the components on the shield, but I used to be a Ham Radio operator and was pretty good at soldering, but it has been a while. Anyway I have a meter long LED strip that I want to use, so now I just need to get the shield going.

#8 ItsDan

ItsDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

According to this page:
http://freespace.vir.../psu/atxpsu.htm

The ATX supply however is a little more tricky to test, as it uses a 'soft' power switch and requires an external load. In order to start, the supply must be loaded to at least 20W or (10% rated power), below this the supply may run, but regulation will be very poor.

This load can be achieved by connecting 4 or 5 paralleled 4R7 power resistors into a convenient drive power connector (across the 5V rail, between black and red). If the test is to last more than a couple of seconds ensure adequate heat sinking has been provided.

To start the supply simply short between pins 14 and 15 with a wire link.

I've seen people mention the shorting of pins without mentioning the required external load as well.

That said I have to imagine the shield has a way to kick on the PSU without having to short with a pin...
Follow the adventures of the Box of Crappy Surplus

Total BOCS Traveled Distance: 9708 miles | States Visited: 5
Track the Box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.