Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Looking for Gearheads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang

Mustang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

My thought was that I needed a $250 A'pexi, or some other overpriced tuner to just read codes and display in real-time what my vehicle is doing. I originally had intended on building a carPC that would reside in my glovebox and output (using a $80 interface) to a 7" touchscreen. All of this would not be cheap. In fact, some carpc kits are over 2 grand. My intentions are to use the netduino as a bridge. To read in the data from the OBD-2 port (data sent in real-time from the ECU) using the netduino and use the netduino to output to an LCD. The LCD then could be mounted anywhere I wanted, and really be something that is designed with my vehicle in mind. I've searched the net, and it looks like the last attempt was in 2008 ( http://code.google.c.../OBDuinoDiagram ). Are there any other gearheads here that want to collaborate on something like this? I am afraid with my limited knowledge, I'd need a nudge (or a shove) in the right direction. It would be very nice to have an interface that is output from the netduino to an RCA-style video out at 800X480 resolution for most 7" in-dash touchscreens to display (or an overlay-style). I might be grasping at straws here, but this is something I am very interested in doing (Even to monetary support). If anyone has any idea where I can start, or what direction I should, please chime in. There were only three threads about OBD2 on the forums here, but all seemed to dead-end.

#2 Chuckie

Chuckie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

I did some work on a project similar to what you're looking for. It's rudimentary, but it might be worth a download for you if you're looking to start experimenting. The project is located here.

The NETMF device just interfaces with an ELM327 IC to get the OBD data from the vehicle. The ELM does most of the hard work for you so you don't have to get involved with the low-level details of the different OBD2 protocols. Although everything is running on a FEZ Cobra in the video, all the code in the project used for communication w/the ELM should run fine on the Netduino (I think I did a cursory test on a Netduino at one point, but I'm not 100% sure).

My idea was to eventually create an in-dash display with gauges and such, but I just haven't had any time to flesh this out any further. As it stands right now, you can request basic PIDs such as speed, RPM, intake temp, etc., and the code is structured in such a way that you can easily add more if you know the PIDs you want.

I've seen some posts here and there about folks working directly with CAN to interface with their vehicles using NETMF, but I haven't seen any projects materialize.

Anyway, maybe this will help you in some way.

#3 Mustang

Mustang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDetroit, Michigan

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

VERY much so. I cannot thank you enough. This will most certainly get me off to a great start using the netduino. I fully intend on integrating this to my supercharger setup on my V6. These cars are HUGE in Korea, so the aftermarket support is there (Wideband O2 sensors, turbos, superchargers, ECU tuners, and millions more parts). I have a 7" 800X480 screen in my car, but it is NTSC/PAL (via an RCA-type input). Once I get the unit functional, I intend on writing a front end that is not only functional, but elegant. Ultimately, the unit would have its own touch-screen with various settings. I would like to develop it into a full tuner adjustable on the fly. I know this might take some main harness tapping, but there are a billion schematics for every pin on my ECU. I am still interested in collaborating with people on this. It is quite a daunting task for 5 people, let alone one person.

#4 mrgadget

mrgadget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHawkes Bay, New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

Hi,

I'm also interested in looking at this - wanting to monitor live engine diagnostics (TPS, load, boost) to calculate and effect a turbo timer, as well as providing an ethernet interface (netduino+) for querying info (speed, RPM, boost etc) for display by a carPC.

I don't yet have my netduino (sparkfun out of stock :() but am doing plenty of reading in preparation!

I also found this (link) which might be a good interface for UART to OBDII. Presumably this would be easy to hook up to a netduino? (cue seasoned netduino professional opinion :))

Cheers,
Ben.

#5 Spork

Spork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

The CAN-Bus Sheild might be worth a look too. Looks like it has pros and cons compared to the item Mr. Gadget linked to. I guess the biggest con is that it's CAN-Bus only, whereas the OBD-II UART handles CAN-Bus and several other of the protocols that make up OBD-II.

Had been considering the purchase of something to read OBD-II but never thought about building my own on top of netduino, before tonight.

#6 JudeDuino

JudeDuino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I am hoping this thread isn't dead, I am also interested in using Netduino to interface with my ECM so if anyone's still interested let's see where things are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.