Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Using Netduino to prototype & program a chip...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 swamplander

swamplander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSt Johns, FL

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

I might not have a clue what I'm talking about here... just picking some stuff up from stuff I've read.

I'm working on a few projects that are all based on the Netduino. Some have two components that talk to each other (like a 'box' in one part of a room doing stuff and another 'box' in another part of a room doing stuff). I know I can use a Netduino in both of them and figure out the wire[less] communication, but my question is:

Can I, instead of buying two Netduinos, can I buy a microprocessor and once I've got everything working the way I want it, flash the microprocessor with my program, wire everything up and remove the Netduino?

Why do I want to do this? Might be a way for a cheaper project. Again, I'm not looking for a "why would you do that" response... looking more for feasibility to learn stuff. :)

#2 Nevyn

Nevyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire, UK

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:15 PM

It is possible to do this. In fact that is how the Netduino Go works. The Go runs NETMF on the STM32 and communicates with the modules which are either STM8 or STM32 microcontrollers running native C code.

BTW, I assumed by microprocessor you mean microcontroller.

Regards,
Mark

To be or not to be = 0xFF

Blogging about Netduino, .NET, STM8S and STM32 and generally waffling on about life

Follow @nevynuk on Twitter

#3 CW2

CW2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

If I understand it correctly you want a custom board running Netduino firmware? Of course that is possible, as long as it is hardware compatible (e.g. clock frequency, inputs/outputs etc.). However, you'd need to have very good component source deals to make it cheaper (the microcontroller itself in single quantity costs significant part of the retail Netduino price, plus the other parts, PCB, assembly, testing etc.).

#4 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Hi swamplander,

If you need a specific board implementation for a project I would contact forum member Juzzer

http://forums.netdui...ser/183-juzzer/

He has lots of knowledge about making .NET MF boards.

I am playing with one of his creations right now.

Cheers Olaf

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#5 swamplander

swamplander

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSt Johns, FL

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks guys... to clarify I was looking to build a complete unit without the Netduino, primarily for cost reasons. However CW2 made a good point... it's going to take a lot of work to get the price down to, or below, the Netduino. I'm a "time = money" guy... after this realization, I won't concern myself with getting two Netduinos for each project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.