Windows on Devices? When? - Page 6 - General Discussion - Netduino Forums

Netduino home hardware projects downloads community

The Netduino forums have been replaced by new forums at community.wildernesslabs.co. This site has been preserved for archival purposes only and the ability to make new accounts or posts has been turned off.
Photo

Windows on Devices? When?

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 david98xp

david98xp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I live in NZ too. Wellington.

#102 david98xp

david98xp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I live in NZ too. Wellington.

#103 Fjolle

Fjolle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

We had far more interest than kits. Quite literally, a couple orders of magnitude. We didn't expect that level of interest.

About a week ago or so, we sent out email to everyone who signed up saying that all the kits had been allocated. Anyone who has not yet received a shipping notification or a kit, and who wants to experiment with Windows on the Galileo, will need to pick up one retail and load Windows on it through the WindowsOnDevices site.

Pete

Strange. I only got the "We'll let you know when your device is shipped"-email and one announcing that I could download the firmware to a retail board. Nothing about everything being allocated.

Oh well.

#104 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Strange. I only got the "We'll let you know when your device is shipped"-email and one announcing that I could download the firmware to a retail board. Nothing about everything being allocated.

Oh well.

Hello!

That's what happened with me as well.

Doctor Who
"This signature does not exist!"

#105 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationAnne Arundel County, MD

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

The email I received was sent September 4. Check your spam folders?

Pete

Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#106 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

While we are continuing our program, we have finished allocating all the Intel Galileo boards that we purchased. If you were allocated a kit then you should have received either a tracking number or an email saying a kit was allocated to you. If you haven’t received either of those two emails you will still be able to participate in the Windows Developer Program for IoT using a retail board.

Of course I had no email with the announcement that I get a free board of Microsoft.
I did not expect otherwise..... But the promise was there!!

#107 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Thanks JoobC

Yeah. We had a LOT more interest than we expected. Intel had a limited number of boards we could be allocated.

On the plus side, the Galileo 2 is out and we'll have support for that as well (it's not yet ready, however).

Pete

Pete Brown - http://10rem.net (NETMF, C++, Windows, C64, and general geekery) Twitter: @pete_brown
I work for Microsoft. Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer,our partners or customers.

#108 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Well you have a list of people now that have nothing so use your influence Just kidding of course.

Cheers

Olaf

Van SchOten Ict Diensten en Services
http://www.voids.nl

#109 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:42 PM

My influence doesn't extend to miraculous creation of new stock, unfortunately :)

Pete

#110 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

No Gandalf wizardry , darn  :D

#111 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

The email I received was sent September 4. Check your spam folders?

Pete

Hello!

The only one I received was from the outfit wanting to confirm my information. It seems they were making plans but there were issues someplace and naturally they wanted to confirm my location and of course qualifications. I'm not doubting you Pete, I am doing so regarding the offices behind you, that is all of them.

And in fact those three were it. None was sent on 9/4/2014. It seems it was never sent.

Edited by Dr Who, 20 September 2014 - 02:17 AM.

Doctor Who

#112 JoopC

JoopC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

[Pete Brown] Yeah. We had a LOT more interest than we expected. Intel had a limited number of boards we could be allocated.[/Pete Brown]

We can drag Microsoft to court for promising, but not fulfilling that promise. :rolleyes:

In the Netherlands we are asking ourselves if it was not  wiser for Microsoft to put more effort in the Netduino project. The Netduino is as stable as a rock and compared to the Intel, light years ahead. But about choices and Microsoft.....

#113 Spiked

Spiked

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

The Netduino is as stable as a rock and compared to the Intel, light years ahead. ...

What is your experiences that reveal that? Unless it is that it has been 4 years without enhancements and bug fixes, I get that.

I've only played with the IoT a minute, but the debugging on it was rock solid, as opposed to a random number of reboots on the netduino every time I hit run.

As far as non-debug running, the IoT is months old, versus years for the Netduino (and MF) family. Not quite a fair comparison.

#114 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

Yeah. We had a LOT more interest than we expected. Intel had a limited number of boards we could be allocated.

On the plus side, the Galileo 2 is out and we'll have support for that as well (it's not yet ready, however).

Pete

Hello!

Okay at Maker Faire today I met with several people from Microsoft. One insisted that she did know our host. But it was interesting to hear her discuss the problem above. And sadly it sounded scripted. But sadly I detected a hint of upset at not being able to help me fulfill my request.

I also tracked down a copy of the book for the thing, cheap too compare to how much it costs normally, and even from Micro Center. Who was there as it happens.

Chris, I don't know what prompted your decision not to be there, but I was pleased to see them using an N2 device.

Pete, I'll probably buy an Model One board from Micro Center, or not, my sister tells me that its available for my birthday...... I'll probably end up requesting that Model Two board since support would be available sometime in the next three to four months,

Doctor Who

#115 Pete Brown

Pete Brown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:01 AM

that thing about taking us to court (quoting doesn't appear to work in Modern IE on 8.1)

I assume the thing about suing was said in jest, but once something like that goes into a thread, I need to remove myself from the discussion. Feel free to spin up another thread if you are looking for something from me.

Thanks.

Pete

#116 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

I assume the thing about suing was said in jest, but once something like that goes into a thread, I need to remove myself from the discussion. Feel free to spin up another thread if you are looking for something from me.

Thanks.

Pete

Hello!

I definitely agree. That's not something that is considered appropriate for this forum.

Doctor Who

#117 FourT2

FourT2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Wow JoopC, what a class act - sue MS for not giving you a free board. 

Give me a break. If you are interested in this WoD and did not get selected, go buy a board like many of us did, it won't break the bank. 

#118 Se3ker

Se3ker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

I also think more effort should be made to NETMF, nontheless we had talk about what platform to use for our new project and it was a close one between arduino and netmf, the programming ease won over a slight price increase, we will continue to use it for more complex projects until NETMF is no longer relevant.

I think a mod should really close this thread..

#119 beastyboy

beastyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Guys,

Seriously, Joop is from the Netherlands, and we here just find the situation in the US where you get sued for every little thing ridiculous.

So this was a typical Dutch Sarcastic note.

That you all rip that out of context is indeed funny, Joop is probably grinning behind his screen  :P

Cheers

Olaf

#120 Dr Who

Dr Who

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

I definitely agree. This is the one time that we didn't gain anything from translation. For example, I'm not mad at Microsoft that I didn't get the board I was expecting. I'm mad at the company for not doing enough so that its it.

And as it happens we should move on.

Doctor Who

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

home    hardware    projects    downloads    community    where to buy    contact Copyright © 2016 Wilderness Labs Inc.  |  Legal   |   CC BY-SA
This webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.